Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 16 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
We need a Senior Software Engineer to join our mission and help us build a global platform that’s scalable, reliable and secure. You’ll dive right into projects on data governance core systems and internal tooling.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with a data security and privacy mindset to join our Data Governance team.
Data Governance team develops and operates Wise’s data governance systems and tooling integrations with the numerous data technologies and services powering the Wise mission.
The data governance systems use innovative approaches to automatically discover, classify and “govern” data to build “data mesh” which will complement Wise’s autonomous culture. This will help us meet our global regulatory requirements and keep our customer data safe.
This team is singularly focused on building automated governance tooling not defining governance policy. Team is building new products and providing an excellent green/brown field opportunity to build core software engineering components while collaborating with many stakeholders.
It is imperative that we protect our customers’ money and data. In addition, there are many interesting challenges when it comes to meeting regulatory requirements world-wide. As a Senior Software Engineer in the wider Platform tribe and Engineering organisation, you will have an opportunity to directly affect data governance engineering strategy, building production systems ensuring we have strong and effective data governance controls in place, to detect and mitigate risks across our systems
How we work
We operate on a strong belief in automation, programmatic implementation, and reusable design. We’re looking for people who can step back and think holistically about the ecosystem, but also follow through and help implement the design; drawing on the resources across the rest of the platform tribe.
As we grow, our services architecture and data ecosystems get more complex. We need to sustain this growth by ensuring automated controls, with a focus on availability, security, and ease of use. We’re looking for an engineer with relevant experience who can analyse complex requirements and deliver simple solutions to help our teams achieve our mission with speed and confidence.
As we scale we continue to push our teams to run autonomously. They are closest to our customers, so they’re empowered to decide what to prioritise and deliver, without being told what to do by leadership. This means they can move fast and run multiple projects at the same time.
At Wise we split our time between the office and home focusing on using the most appropriate place for our activities. Think about coming together in person for events which focus on coaching, community and collaboration.
What will you be working on?
- Work closely with our Platform, Security and Privacy teams to ensure Wise’s data processing systems conform to security best practices and our policies
- Architect, design and implement reliable data governance services and tooling
- Help protect customer data and meet regulatory requirements worldwide
- Contribute to our mission of building secure data systems and flows powering the rails for global finance that customers can trust
- Solid experience as a full-stack or backend engineer during which you developed skills in technologies like Spring boot, Docker, AWS, REST APIs (frontend skills is a big plus)
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages (Java, Scala, Python) (JVM based language essential)
- A good understanding of data technologies ideally with experience with some of the following relational databases, big data, data warehouses and marts, and stream processing technologies (e.g. Kafka, S3, Flink, Snowflake, Iceberg)
- Mastery of fundamental software engineering practices like good design documentation, unit testing, peer code reviews, and a preference for agile methods
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and organisational skills to communicate effectively new processes and workflows, and interact with teams from different areas of the organisation
- Ability to assess risk and impact to the business and individuals from a privacy and data protection perspective
Other desirable experiences and Skills:
- Experience running production services in the cloud (AWS preferred)
- Experience with enterprise data catalogue/governance systems or eagerness to master them is preferable
- Interest in AI governance, Data Security, Data Privacy for building Global Fintech Product
- Experience in regulated industries like healthcare or financial services
You get back
- The ability to choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work – a practical guide
- Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- The Wise Tech Stack, 2022 Edition.
- Our Engineering career map
- Platform Engineering KPIs
- Scaling our Infrastructure; how we make it work
- Wise Engineering – https://medium.com/wise-engineering
What do we offer:
- Starting salary: £80,000-£115,000 + RSU
- Numerous great benefits in our London office
- Flexible working – whether it’s working from home, school plays or life admin we get that flexibility is essential and you’re trusted to do the right thing and be responsible
- Paid annual holiday, sick days, parental leave and other leave opportunities
- 6 weeks of paid sabbatical after 4 years at Wise on top of annual leave
If you're interested in the position, please apply by submitting your CV.
We're people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We're proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer's needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it's like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.