Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 16 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a talented Senior Engineering Manager / Lead to join our mission.
The team you’ll be working with: Finance Squad
Finance drives financial accounting, business monitoring and representing Wise financials to board, investors, regulators and auditors. Their focus is on running financial processes in an efficient, scalable and controlled manner and ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting. Finance is split into three core engineering responsibilities, namely:
- Onboarding and journaling of financial transactions of new customer products/features
- Managing the governance and controls over all financial data
- Automation of accounting processes over consolidated transactional financial journals and preparing financial data for reporting and analytics.
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Lead to join the Finance Squad, who will lead other Engineering Leads directly managing some of the teams above. You would be responsible for shaping and delivering some of the key initiatives like:
- Improving the scalability and reliability of group accounting processes owned by the team;
- Designing and implementing real time data streaming flows to enable real timeliness of financial data & controls that is relied upon for critical downstream processing - customer money safeguarding, regulatory reporting and others;
- Building accessible Financial Data & Reporting Platform to make real time, accurate financial data available to all the stakeholders. As the data volume being managed by the Finance team is growing exponentially, along with the need to make the data available in real time, with good controls and accuracy, this is a great opportunity for someone to have a huge impact in shaping and leading the delivery of systems that are scalable and reliable.
- We are also undergoing a major transformation across Finance, moving into “Finance as a Platform”, by making the finance platform product agnostic and standardising the integration with the products. This would allow us to scale with the business, as we continue to add more products and features across Wise.
Your role in the team:
- Leading multiple teams and projects that have good Finance squad level impact by affecting other teams and not just the team that you are leading, by either coaching other leads, collaborating with the teams on bigger projects or helping them achieve their goals.
- Helping shape the longer term vision and strategy for the product in collaboration with the team leads and the cross functional teams.
- Bring product engineering skills and experience, digging into technical or architectural issues and leading a mature scalable product, contributing materially to the company goals. Providing feedback on architecture and approach and helping teams make data-driven decisions
- Responsible for org design of the teams you are leading, responsible for ensuring teams are staffed appropriately from the get go. Regularly evaluating the skill gaps within the team, making a case for it and doing the requisite recruitment. Working with team leads and the recruitment team to build a longer term hiring plan and contributing to overall hiring process success.
- Being responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers within your team
- Having an overview of what’s happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole
- Review the team's code, provide feedback on the code commits, code quality and guide the teams. If the capacity and skills allow, rolling your sleeves up and coding
Is that you?
- Experience managing engineering managers, leading, coaching and mentoring driven and high performing teams
- A passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems
- Comfortable working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- Experience building and designing scalable and performing systems
- Experience working with Java, Spring framework (or similar), asynchronous event driven microservices based architectures
Nice to have bonuses:
- Experience with Real time streaming frameworks/ technologies (Kafka Streaming, Apache Flink, Amazon Kinesis, or others)
- Experience with Analytical Data Warehouses (Snowflake, Redshift, ClickHouse, or others)
- Comfortable with SQL databases and optimisation
- Domain Experience: Financial accounting, IFRS Reporting
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
What does success look like in this role?
- You’ll build a good understanding of the domain and an overall understanding of the Wise business
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- Stock options in a growing company
- Hybrid working: up to three days of working from home each week and three months fully remote. Find out more about our hybrid way of working.
- A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
- Parental leave: 26 weeks maternity leave at full pay, plus 13 weeks at statutory maternity pay; 18 weeks with full pay for paternity leave
- An annual, all-expenses-paid company trip - Mission days
- Private medical insurance, pension plan
- An annual self-development budget
- Salary: £120,000 - £165,000 + RSU's
Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work - a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
- 🚀 Engineering career journeys at Wise
...or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn’t important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
If you want to find out more about what it's like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
Keep up to date with life at Wise by following us on LinkedIn and Instagram.