Engineering Manager - Wise Account
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in the world and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a talented Engineering Manager, based in our Austin office (with a flexible combined in-office and WFH approach), to join our mission.
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the North America Team:
- You’ll help other people and businesses to bring out the best from their Wise Account. Save more money by receiving and holding money with Wise.
- You’ll lead, coach and grow a team locally in North America, as well as shape the Account vision for Wise globally.
- You’ll scale a best in class product across the US and Canada while ensuring the learnings you have in-market are shared back with our other global regions.
What does it take?
- Working with other Wise leaders globally to achieve our Mission: Money without borders.
- Building a championship team. Fostering an environment of autonomy where everyone is encouraged to identify and prioritize customer problems and opportunities.
- Helping your team make data-driven decisions by providing feedback on architecture and approach.
- Raise the bar for the team to reach new heights of technical excellence.
Is that you?
- You want to work for a company you believe in its mission
- You’re passionate about building high quality products, working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- You have experience in leading, hiring, coaching and mentoring driven individuals
- You’re enabling your team to solve complex problems by breaking them down into small iterative steps of incremental value
- You’ve built and designed scalable and performing systems
- You have experience in designing, deploying and maintaining clean RESTful APIs
- You have experience with microservices architecture, asynchronous message queues and SQL databases
- You are still hands on with coding, and enjoy getting your hands dirty
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
Nice to have:
- You’ve worked with Java/Kotlin, preferably with Spring Boot
What does success look like?
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product has on their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class global banking product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success - you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact - the part of the product you’ll build is key to Wise reaching future millions of customers and redefining how payments work internationally at scale
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- The opportunity to work with super smart people
- 🚀 RSU’s in a rapidly growing company
- 💻 Hybrid working model – a mix of working from home and from the office
- ✈️ Wisers can work remotely for 90 days a year. By ‘remote’ we don’t just mean from home, but from wherever in the world you choose to
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🩺 Medical, dental, & vision insurance – including HSA and FSA options
- 💝 Company-paid: Life Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability, and an EAP program
- ☀️ 25 days PTO, 15 sick days, 11 holidays, 5 compassionate leave days, 3 paid “Me” days and a paid volunteer day, annually
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
- 👶🏼 18-weeks of paid parental leave, after a year with us
- 💰 401k with up to a 4% employer match
- 🏆 2023 Austin BuiltIn Best Award winner for Best Places to Work and Best Large Places to Work
- ⭐️ Here’s more info on our benefits in Austin
Interested? Find out more:
👀 How we work - a practical guide
📹 TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
💻 The TransferWise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
📈 Our Engineering career map or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thoughts, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.