Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 15 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one and we’re looking for a talented Engineering Lead to join the mission.
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
Your mission is to help customers onboard to Wise fast and safely, verifying their identities in a reliable, scalable and cost efficient way.
The team you’ll be working with: KYC team
The team is building world-class solutions for customer identification. But what does that mean exactly?
We use the most advanced technologies to analyse images of documents, videos and information collected in order to establish a customer’s identity. We’re building user experience for information collection that is understandable and enjoyable for our customers. We scale the product using modern distributed systems and power it with machine learning models, to automate processes and make decisions on onboarding a customer.
Our main vision points are:
- An integrated solution has to be focused on customer experience
- We want to fight financial crime, not just comply with requirements
- We believe KYC agents should help in training models, not just processing cases
- Machine learning will be the central engine for the decision making
- Unique market position gives us access to a set of diverse data, also bringing a challenge of an international KYC
What does it take?
- Being responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers within your team
- Providing feedback on architecture and approach and helping teams make data-driven decisions
- Having an overview of what’s happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole
- Rolling your sleeves up and coding, being involved in the entire process
Is that you?
- Experience leading, coaching and mentoring driven and high performing teams
- A passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems
- Comfortable working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- Experience building and designing scalable and performing systems
- Experience working with Java, Spring framework, asynchronous message queues and have worked with microservices architecture
- Comfortable with SQL databases, optimisation and transaction
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
What does success look like?
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success - you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
We offer a salary range of €66,000-€94,000 annual with an RSU package of £60,000-£125,000 vesting over a period of 4 years.
Find out more about our benefits in our Tallinn office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work - a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2022 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
...or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.