Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got over 13 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a talented Engineering Lead to join our mission.
The team you’ll be working with: Finance Product Onboarding (FPO)
First of all, the domain knowledge is not required for this position, you'll have a chance to learn it after joining Wise. Please see below the description of the projects the team is working on.
Finance drives financial accounting, business monitoring and representing Wise financials to board, investors, regulators and auditors. Their focus is on running financial processes in an efficient, scalable and controlled manner and ensuring timely and accurate financial reporting. Finance is split into three core engineering responsibilities, namely:
- Onboarding and journaling of financial transactions of new customer products/features
- Managing the governance and controls over all financial data
- Automation of accounting processes over consolidated transactional financial journals and preparing financial data for reporting and analytics.
Finance Product Onboarding in its current form along with different products is responsible for integrating product financials. The core responsibility lies in accounting each and every transaction that represents financial movement. Finance Product Onboarding today owns the integration of product financials and is responsible for the hygiene of it. Once the accounting ledger is boarded by the finance product onboarding, it’s taken forward for reporting and controls by other sub-teams. Finance Product Onboarding along with different other sub-teams in finance runs several financial processes. Example: Closing the period.
But as Wise products grow exponentially onwards, it’s not very trivial to support every product in the same hand-crafted fashion. Hence, the squad is in the midst of a revolution to upp the concepts on how a product’s financials should be onboarded to finance. Finance is on a mission to to scale up products and support integration with finance as seamless, efficient and scalable as possible. We’re working on building finance as a platform and making financials more real-time with high precision to support our stakeholder’s requirements like customer money safeguarding, liquidity controls, etc. in a more timely and compliant way. A peek into the technicality of it, the squad has outlined some key technical components which could help us shape the accounting systems of the future. But we’re just getting started and there is a way better world where product teams could take ownership of financials and scale them as we scale products.
At Wise, Engineering Leads are quite hands-on and this is something you’d be working on a day-day basis with fellow engineers and other leads in the squad or tribe.
Your role in the team:
- Designing and building near real-time and distributed accounting processes
- Transforming the current hand-crafted solutions to the new defined platform
- Making finance integration easier and robust more than ever for product teams
- Working with different products and stakeholders
- Being responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers within your team
- Providing feedback on architecture and approach and helping team make data-driven decisions
- Having an overview of what’s happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole
- Rolling your sleeves up and coding, being involved in the entire process. Your hands-on involvement may reduce as the team size increases.
Is that you?
- Experience leading, coaching and mentoring driven and high performing teams
- A passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems
- Comfortable working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- Experience building and designing scalable and performing systems
- Experience working with asynchronous event driven microservices based architecture
- Comfortable with SQL databases, optimisation and transaction
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
Nice to have bonuses:
- Experience with Real time streaming frameworks/ technologies (Kafka Streaming, Apache Flink, Amazon Kinesis, or others)
- Experience with Analytical Data Warehouses (Snowflake, Redshift, ClickHouse, or others)
- Domain Experience: Financial accounting
- Experience working with Java, Spring framework
What does success look like in this role?
- You’ll build a good understanding of the domain and an overall understanding of the Wise business
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success - you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- RSU’s in a growing company
- An annual self-development budget
- 26 weeks maternity leave at full pay, plus an additional 13 weeks at minimum wage
- 18 weeks with full pay for paternity leave
- 3 Fully paid 'Me Days' every year to help you manage daily life
- Relocation and visa expenses covered
- A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work - a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
- 🚀 Engineering career journeys at Wise
...or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.