Purpose of the role:
The Global Head of Cards Disputes & Collections is a strong leader with a mindset that allows them to create a comprehensive operational strategy to enable products and processes that put our customers first while being aware of the risks surrounding the payments industry, our products, and the requirements set to us by regulations and partners.
They are well versed in financial and resource management, allocating workforce with long term product requirements in mind and applying a risk based approach to all end-to-end processes within the organisation. Forecasts required resources and builds a compliance operations team of area expertise, having in mind the growth and globalisation of Wise. They are able to help elevate the existing operational team with experience in vision building, planning operational team resources and strong leadership skills, which is based on a track record of managing senior leaders. Leads a rapidly growing global team of investigators, specialists, and team leads, as well as oversees investigation activity across multiple jurisdictions to ensure that it falls within acceptable parameters established by governing bodies.
Looks after the strategic development of the operational model of Chargebacks, Card Disputes, and Card Fraud Prevention and Detection Operations, including building readiness for new emerging products and supporting servicing a growing scope of Wise. Responsible for expansion and localisation strategy of the operational area.
Directly impacts Wise's strategic goals in ensuring risk mitigation through identification, investigation, and escalation of chargebacks, disputes, and card fraud globally, and knowing how and when to stop criminal activity whilst keeping our customers safe, which helps Wise enhance growth whilst protecting our customers.
Has a customer and product centric mindset, which they are able to combine with operations in a high risk subject matter and deliver data-driven solutions with the team. They have an ability to apply research and methods to enhance their understanding of the domain and support the existing team of subject matter experts. Has both a risk and commercial mindset on how to both prevent fraud and attract customers through fraud prevention communication & initiatives.
Ensures that the team is able to provide support and subject matter expertise during internal audits, third party reviews, and regulatory exams.
Report directly to the Head of Financial Crime Operations, acting as the Chargeback and Disputes investigations representative supported by the existing team. Collaborates with the core Operations, AML and Fraud Investigations, and KYC teams, to ensure consistent visibility, collaboration and ensure we are compliant in our processes and product offerings.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Improving the resources needed to enhance subject matter expertise and customer awareness of card fraud
- Delivering on specific KPIs which tie enhanced external awareness of fraud to fraud prevention metrics; and longer term to enhanced customer acquisition
- Develop a strategy for card fraud prevention,, working closely with Product and Compliance teams
- Be a leader to the Collections, Chargebacks & Disputes senior team leads and team leads, supporting them in building independence and strong autonomous teams
- Accountable for forecasting, budgeting, and ensuring the fraud team are meeting the expected KPIs, SLAs and quality standards
- Own and continuously improve team capabilities, skills and capacity development, including key areas (like processes, quality assurance, regulatory compliance, workforce management) ownership
- Own and lead recruitment and strategic placement of required staff across teams, establishing and developing organisational structure
- Be a strong communicator who can represent Chargeback & Disputes Operations at Group level committees
- Lead significant cross-team projects requiring material decisions and content contribution as well as project management.
- Maintain a customer-oriented focus that has a clear understanding of risk and an innovative can-do mindset that achieves the payment scheme and regulatory objectives and a great customer experience
- Working closely with other teams to develop areas that affect the whole Fraud, Disputes & Collections organisation, the crime-fighting tribe, or other relevant teams; and align with them on overall vision;
- Acting as escalation path for internal and external partners;
- Contributing to definition, scoping and execution of long term plans and objectives, in coordination with the relevant Product teams, and other relevant internal or external stakeholders.
- Be part of developing a communication strategy and plan to help increase awareness about card fraud prevention externally and internally
- Rigorously use data to drive decision making, develop new approaches, evaluate program performance, and advocate for product changes that improve the accuracy of our fraud monitoring program
- Coordinate, research, and assist with drafting responses to internal audit and external exams/regulator requests
- Excellent verbal & written English. You are proactive, clear, concise, and comfortable speaking publicly.
- Experience in leading senior leaders in Product or Operational teams, preferably of total team sizes above 15 people and minimum 3 years
- Proven track record of taking individual ownership and responsibilities as well as being a great team-player
- Good understanding and ability to analyze, forecast and move of teams’ metrics;
- Data-driven approach to quantifying problems sizes and the impact, including risk sizes
- Ability to elevate themselves on the subject-matter expertise in payments fraud topics, typologies, investigative processes, and adherence to compliance regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Exposure to various risk related monitoring systems (either in compliance, products or finance fields) with a good understanding of how to transform and/or implement them into an organisation.
- Strong communication skills, and comfortable managing the communication externally about fraud prevention topics
- Experience communicating complex information accurately, clearly, and quickly to all levels of management, regulators, auditors, and third parties.
- Experience completing time‐sensitive analysis of financial activities across multiple jurisdictions and countries.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a complex organization, across multiple cultures, geographies, and disciplines.
- Project management skills and capability to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Experience with project management tools and familiarity with business analytics tools like JIRA, Confluence, or Looker.
- Ability to travel as needed.
If you're interested in this role, please submit your CV and cover letter answering the following questions:
- Tell us about your experience managing global operational teams, specifically related to Disputes, Cards operations, or Collection space. What’s the team size and your overall responsibilities?
- What do you think of Wise’s main challenges in this domain?
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn't important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.