TRAILS (Transforming Research into Action to Improve the Lives of Students) is a growing team of innovative thinkers committed to youth mental health. We partner with schools throughout Michigan and in a number of other settings nationwide, providing school staff with the training, materials, and implementation support they need to deliver effective mental health programming to their students. Our program was designed and developed by expert child mental health clinicians in collaboration with health and education researchers, educators, and school leaders. Our model was built specifically for the school setting, and is grounded in evidence-based cognitive behavioral and mindfulness practices. As we work to make effective mental health services available to all students, priority is given to schools that are under-resourced or that serve historically excluded populations. Our staff are dedicated to a vision of health and health care equity for all, and as TRAILS expands, we are seeking individuals who practice cultural humility, and who thrive in and contribute to an inclusive working environment.
TRAILS (Transforming Research into Action to Improve the Lives of Students) is seeking an experienced, highly motivated, and organized individual to serve a key role in managing all aspects of internal technology systems and operations of the organization. This is an important role that requires a versatile and technically proficient leader with superior organizational skills and a team-first approach. The Information Technology Director will be responsible for ensuring that the hardware and software used by TRAILS is compatible, secure, and scalable. The successful candidate will contribute to the TRAILS mission through strategic oversight of technical systems and operations, including data and network security, hardware and software management, cross-functional collaboration, and management of a Technology Operations Coordinator.
Strategic Management and Leadership of Information Technology Systems (30%)
- Guide and implement TRAILS’ overall technology approach across and within departments for all internal operations
- Collaborate with other TRAILS teams to understand goals and activate technological solutions
- Ensure the organization enlists a comprehensive, efficient, secure, user-friendly, and well-managed technology ecosystem; and guide the development of policies and procedures to maintain healthy technology ecosystem
- Lead the budgeting and resource planning for TRAILS’ technology needs
- Establish standards and metrics to analyze resource utilization and develop strategies to optimize performance and efficacy
- Develop, document, and implement business continuity protocols and disaster recovery plans
- Serve as senior point of contact for technology vendor relationships and service providers including monitoring partner performance via quarterly meetings with external IT vendor
- Monitor all internal technology systems and processes on an ongoing basis, and take preventative corrective action to ensure overall health of organization
Data and Drive Security and Organization (20%)
- Develop and implement policies and user-friendly how-to guides related to network security, disaster recovery, and IT infrastructure
- Collaborate in the development of secure file management policies
- Assist in development and management of program data and privacy standards and agreements; including creating the process for compliant data security procedures for sensitive partner survey data collected via Qualtrics and other data collection platforms
- Create independent file back-up system and recovery procedures in collaboration with external IT provider
- Develop, manage, and implement an approach to overall network security, including network monitoring, password management, staff IT security training, and user best practices
Hardware, Software & Application Management (30%)
- Manage laptop purchase & lease agreements with suppliers and plan for hardware lifecycle management
- Manage relationships with manufacturer representatives for questions and troubleshooting
- Serve as secondary point of contact for hardware support and triage solutions with team-first orientation for staff members
- Create and manage the plan for lifecycle management of core TRAILS’ software
- Monitor software contracts and user license management
- Periodically and critically review TRAILS’ overall software environment to ensure it is the right fit as organizational needs evolve
- Coordinate changes in hardware and software infrastructure with external IT partner
- Support team members’ effective use of technology through the creation and maintenance of useful documentation, training, and helpful assistance when needed
Leadership and General Team Responsibilities (20%)
- Provide supervision and professional development of the Technical Operations Coordinator; including providing back-up support when needed
- Serve as an effective TRAILS management presence, collaborating with other departments in support of TRAILS’ mission, vision, and values
- Demonstrate and model superior internal customer service and teamwork
- Attend team and all-staff meetings, participate in workgroups, as well as other relevant TRAILS meetings
- Develop and maintain sufficient cross-functional knowledge of TRAILS’ people, operations and processes to ensure our internal technology is appropriate
- Collaborate with TRAILS Evaluation Team on research data management, privacy, and security
- Engage with TRAILS Technology Innovations team, as needed
Our experience suggests that the following types of professional experiences lend themselves to this work:
- 6-8 years of relevant work experience in IT
- Proficient in latest technology for IT systems and management
- Demonstrated ability to respond in an evolving environment and the demands of a growing organization
- Demonstrated ability to create IT best practices policy and processes from scratch; evaluate implementation, and adjust accordingly
Our experience suggests that the following types of skills lend themselves well to this work:
- Broad and deep technical proficiency and knowledge, including hardware and software
- Proficiency with Google Workspace, Microsoft Office 365, Windows and OSX operating systems
- Experiencing configuring and maintaining relational databases
- Demonstrated project management and leadership skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A proven teamwork and customer service orientation
- Demonstrated acumen, judgment, versatility, and initiative
- Keen attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively prioritize work
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and overall TRAILS mission and values
Our experience suggests the following certifications and degree(s) lend themselves well to this work:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or other Information Technology-related field
- Applicable experience and competencies may be considered in lieu of formal education
The salary range for this position is: $117,000-130,000.
TRAILS offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision as well as a 403B with a safe harbor match and short and long term disability. We offer a generous holiday and paid time off package.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
Addressing inequities in access to evidence-based mental health care is intrinsic to the TRAILS mission. The intentionality behind this approach is woven into everything we do at TRAILS, resulting in a staff-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion for all facets of our program. If this commitment is something to which you could positively contribute, we encourage you to apply, particularly if your voice represents a historically excluded perspective.
TRAILS, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
- Our job descriptions reflect TRAILS’ assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing herein restricts management's right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
- We are only considering applicants who are legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Please note that all TRAILS employees are required to undergo a background check as performed by our fiscal sponsor, Tides Center. Findings do not automatically exclude candidates from the hiring process, but will be taken into consideration.
- Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.