TRAILS (Transforming Research into Action to Improve the Lives of Students) is a growing team of innovative thinkers committed to youth mental health. We partner with schools throughout Michigan and in a number of other settings nationwide, providing school staff with the training, materials, and implementation support they need to deliver effective mental health programming to their students. Our program was designed and developed by expert child mental health clinicians in collaboration with health and education researchers, educators, and school leaders. Our model was built specifically for the school setting, and is grounded in evidence-based cognitive behavioral and mindfulness practices. As we work to make effective mental health services available to all students, priority is given to schools that are under-resourced or that serve historically excluded populations. Our staff are dedicated to a vision of health and health care equity for all, and as TRAILS expands, we are seeking individuals who practice cultural humility, and who thrive in and contribute to an inclusive working environment.
The TRAILS Product Designer will be responsible for supporting and expanding TRAILS web products by collaborating with other designers, engineers, and product managers in all phases of the design process, bringing a true human-centered design approach throughout.
Utilizing empathetic and approachable processes, the Product Designer will work to build relationships with our stakeholders, partners, and the communities we serve to conduct user research that informs accessible and equitable designs. They will be responsible for driving and maintaining design systems, creating wireframes, mockups, and clickable prototypes. The Product Designer will co-facilitate brainstorming workshops with a variety of key stakeholders and maintain multiple communication channels to ensure these voices are represented in design decisions and product updates.
The ideal Product Designer is enthusiastic about creating presentations and will present clearly articulated design rationale and decisions to internal and external stakeholders, prioritizing accessibility, impact, and equitability.
Design Responsibilities (75%)
- Work collaboratively with other Product Designer(s) to create impactful, accessible, and equitable web designs that effectively communicate the vision and goals of TRAILS initiatives
- Maintain standard system for design delivery; contribute to and maintain component library and design systems, ensuring the longevity of design and efficient feature creation
- Work with manager and fellow designers to define design strategy, stories and acceptance criteria, stakeholder requirements, design needs, and accessibility standards
- Create wireframes, user flows, prototypes, and mockups to build on each stage of the design process
- Conduct user research to gain insights into user goals, motivations, and challenges by developing research plans, recruiting users, co-facilitating user interviews, and synthesizing findings
- Plan and conduct design research with TRAILS team members (workshops, stakeholder interviews, visual design research), and support the conducting of other types of research (such as market research, competitive analysis)
- Maintain documentation and disseminate analyses with design recommendations to TRAILS stakeholders
- Use data to drive and validate your design decisions, demonstrating best practices, thoroughness, and a high level of critical thinking when presenting design decisions
- Solicit and provide feedback from project team members relating to design and processes
- Maintain Figma library and ensure organization of all design files and documentation
Team responsibilities (25%)
- Collaborate across TRAILS teams (clinical, communication, implementation) to ensure integrated project planning, implementation, evaluation, and delivery of TRAILS programming
- Work seamlessly across organizational structures to create and maintain brand standards and consistency of messaging across all materials and products
- Attend all staff meetings and retreats, workgroups, and other relevant TRAILS meetings as necessary
- Support TRAILS team with all hands on deck events as needed and other team initiatives
Our experience suggests that the following types of professional experiences lend themselves to this work:
- 1-3 years of hands-on professional experience as a designer
- Significant experience collaborating in visual design software (e.g., Figma, Adobe Creative Cloud, and Google Workspace)
- Some experience working closely with an engineering team
Our experience suggests that the following types of skills lend themselves well to this work:
- Ability to identify and provide guidance on resolving accessibility issues according to the WCAG 2.0 guidelines.
- Has a thorough understanding and interest in user research
- Has a strong portfolio demonstrating strategic design thinking, linking to decisions that provided successful outcomes
- Is an innovator in field of specialization, capable of looking at the big picture and diving into details to ensure on-time project delivery
- Has the ability to solve difficult design problems and create frameworks from these design solutions
- Has a strong and effective communication ability with colleagues and stakeholders at any level of an organization (including confidence in writing and presenting)
- Has proven processes and frameworks to address complex design problems
- Has experience interacting with and influencing cross-functional teams
- Is continuously exploring new practices and patterns for their problem-solving toolkit
- Uses creativity, inclusivity, and accessibility as lenses to reframe problems and approaches
- Has comfort working in an agile development environment, and maintains a flexible and friendly approach to working with teams
- Has an active interest in design principles, tools, trends, and developing skills and sharing knowledge with fellow peers and team members
Our experience suggests the following certifications and degree(s) lend themselves well to this work:
- Bachelor’s degree in Design or equivalent experience required
- UX design certification
- Applicable experience and competencies may be considered in lieu of formal education
The salary range for this role is $72,000-$80,000.
TRAILS offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision as well as a 403B with a safe harbor match and short and long term disability. We offer a generous holiday and paid time off package.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
Addressing inequities in access to evidence-based mental health care is intrinsic to the TRAILS mission. The intentionality behind this approach is woven into everything we do at TRAILS, resulting in a staff-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion for all facets of our program. If this commitment is something to which you could positively contribute, we encourage you to apply, particularly if your voice represents a historically excluded perspective.
TRAILS, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
- Our job descriptions reflect TRAILS’ assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing herein restricts management's right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.
- We are only considering applicants who are legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Please note that all TRAILS employees are required to undergo a background check as performed by our fiscal sponsor, Tides Center. Findings do not automatically exclude candidates from the hiring process, but will be taken into consideration.
- Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment.