Trail of Bits is looking for experienced software engineers interested in making high-impact security improvements to high-profile open-source codebases. The primary responsibilities of this role are developing security-focused software updates and features in Python packages, managing their packaging and deployment, and engaging with commercial clients / open-source communities. The focus areas include supply chain security, applied cryptography (related to code signing), CI/CD systems, vulnerability triage and remediation, build systems, and associated security infrastructure.
- Designing and building solutions that balance performance, security, and functionality requirements.
- Root-cause analysis and debugging on low-level technical issues.
- Contributing fixes and enhancements to large open-source codebases.
- Interpreting customer requirements, decomposing tasks, and making engineering estimates.
- Speaking daily with your team typically within core hours and coordinating asynchronously outside of core hours to organize tasking.
- Describing and explaining technical concepts to clients, community, and co-workers.
Requirements & Skills
- 3+ years of experience in professional software development focused on library and package development, Python packaging software and packaging processes, or managing supply chain security for a Python codebase.
- Proficiency in system-level programming in modern Python (required).
- Familiarity with the C-Python interface and with C++ development is preferred.
- Ability to work remotely and independently to set goals and find solutions.
- Composure speaking or writing directly to customers to give status reports on progress and to solicit feedback and new requirements.
Desirable Pluses (non-mandatory skills)
- Experience with Go or Java.
- Related development experience in a security monitoring, security testing, security response, cryptography engineering or other security role.
- Previous experience in DevOps or managing CI/CD systems.
- Previous experience in package management and supply chain security.
- Previous experience in open-source projects.
The US estimated base salary for this full-time W2 employee role is $125,000-$200,000, not including bonus and benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, location, and employment type. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by a variety of factors, include but not limited to work location, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
- Before, during and after COVID-19, our workforce works flexibly. Many employees choose to work from home around the globe. As long as you deliver against your goals, we encourage you to harness your personal working style to let you work best.
- Liberal expense policy for acquiring the equipment and software that help you do your job. If we need hardware to work effectively, we buy it.
- We offer exceptional and tailored technical, leadership and organizational training for our team members. Everyone is encouraged to identify additional opportunities for personal professional growth with working at Trail of Bits.
- We routinely highlight the amazing work our employees do via our blog, product offerings, and conference talks. We celebrate you!
- We're at the forefront of a number of markets and have the internal expertise and the ambition to capitalize on those opportunities. Our employees see their work in use and valued by many others.
- Multiple generous health, vision, and dental insurance plans.
- Ancillary benefits including life and disability insurance.
- Retirement plan with 5% company matching.
- 4 months paid parental leave.
- Moving expenses: $5,000 one-time.
- Charitable donations matching up to $2,000.
- One time $1,000 at home office expense stipend.
- $500/year personal learning & development budget.
- Executive coaching for managers & above.
- Bonuses for recruiting, public speaking, tool releases, blog posts, academic posters, proposals, and whitepapers, and end-of-year bonuses based on company, team, and personal performance.
- 20 days of PTO per year for vacation, sick, and personal time off.
- 15 company holidays per year.
- Carbon offsets for your personal and corporate carbon emissions through Project Wren.
Dedication to diversity, equity & inclusion