The Algorithms team at Wayfair creates decision frameworks, data artifacts and tools to effectively guide business strategies and decision-making across Wayfair. These algorithms leverage best-in-class approaches across machine learning, economics and statistics to drive Pricing and Profitability decisions across our catalog. We are hiring a staff engineer in our customer algorithms group to build services that produce demand and competitive insights and drive our retail pricing decisions.
The ideal candidate for this role is an expert in distributed software systems development with experience building services powered by DS/ML models. Our team is intensely collaborative. We work with business analysts, data scientists, and product managers. We leverage a variety of technologies, including Java, Python, C#, GCP, Hive, Spark, Kafka, Aerospike, and Airflow. You’ll need to become intimate with all of them and drive change as our technology evolves.
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as a technical leader for a large group of engineers and engineering managers, including mentoring, breaking down work, and guiding implementation. Provide high quality contributions to the code base, perform timely code reviews with a mind to best practices, stability and up-time.
- Work cross-functionally with different roles and teams, such as product management, data scientists, product associates, analysts, core areas of the business, and other engineering teams to understand the problems we need to solve, and solutions against them. Collaborate with engineering leaders that span multiple sprint lines to create and update project plans, coordinate efforts and resources on projects, as necessary and ensure that we deliver the right functionality, in a timely manner.
- Own the entire platform’s architecture, and help make decisions to drive the technology platform and roadmap for the team to ensure current and future scalability and performance - you’ll be helping us solve some complex architectural problems!
- Implement and advocate for engineering best practices, helping level up the engineers inside and outside your team. Mentor new hires and other engineers to help them become more proficient by example.
What You’ll Need:
- Experience with scaling distributed systems, streaming technologies, microservice architectures.
- Experience in leading development of scalable, highly performant applications using technologies such as Python, Google Cloud Services such as Dataflow and Dataproc, messaging systems like Kafka, deep learning frameworks such as Pytorch, and in-memory cache technologies like Aerospike and Solr, Spark, Hadoop and other big data technologies.
- Containerized development using Docker, deployed to Kubernetes within a hybrid of both on-prem (WF's datacenters) and cloud (GCP/Google Cloud Platform)
- Experience working with big and handling different data storage options. Google Cloud storage preferable.
- Experience with scalable event based systems, APIs/Restful services and automated CI/CD mechanisms.
- Experience with big data technologies and integrating machine learning models
- An ability to understand and make tradeoffs between different technologies and patterns
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively with engineers, product managers, and business stakeholders and ample experience gathering requirements from business stakeholders and deriving software requirements
- Passion for leading a large, cross-cutting technical initiative to delivery, cross-functional consensus building and influencing design decisions.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.