Who We Are:
Wayfair.com is a leader in the e-commerce space for all things home. Wayfair’s community of Engineers are obsessed with using data and technology to ensure our customers can build a home that they love. Our platforms support millions of people searching every day for the perfect item, and provide a unique purchase and delivery experience. Come help us innovate and grow to our next $10B in revenue!
We are seeking a Head of Machine Learning Platforms - Engineering to build out the Machine Learning Platforms engineering team. At Wayfair, this team is building the next generation of platforms, operations and infrastructure that serve some of our most impactful business areas, including Marketing, Supply Chain, and Customer Intelligence. We work with Data Scientists and Engineers to bring to life ML-driven products, develop and deliver a range of platforms to improve the experiences of our customers and suppliers and help enable other teams within the company.
Our platforms grew out of an innovative group of machine learning software engineers based in our Boston office. Over the past year we have been scaling our efforts and developing the next generation of capabilities. We are seeking an experienced software engineering leader to lead and scale our team of engineers, building Wayfair’s cutting edge ML ecosystem at Wayfair. The ecosystem includes but is not limited to the intricacies involved in developing, operationalizing and scaling ML infrastructure, end to end ML lifecycle and operations, and operationalizing Wayfair-developed ML intellectual property (models) catering to the diverse use cases across our global community of hundreds of data scientists.
We would love to chat with you if you not only enjoy leading software engineering teams, are bold to invest in early stage ideas and can follow through with execution to take them to fruition on a global scale, but are also able to upskill the engineers around them by leading by example. You have experience as a senior engineering leader with multiple examples of shipping transformative and scalable platforms that your users absolutely love. You understand how to make bold investments while executing with velocity on aggressive goals with measurable impact.
In this role, you will work with the Machine Learning product managers, cross-functional engineering teams, and data scientists to understand the Machine Learning landscape, build and execute on strategic product roadmaps, drive adoption of ML across Wayfair, and design architectures to scale ML globally. You will partner with other senior leaders to both develop and evangelize Machine Learning across Wayfair, with an expectation to measure outcomes along the way.
In this position, you as a leader will drive these changes through a mix of: (1) leading engineering teams driving and owning development and operationalization of our platforms (2) up-leveling and inspiring engineering team managers and their teams (3) working with Wayfair’s product teams and cross-functional leaders to identify opportunities and to drive adoption of new technology in the machine learning space and more.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead multiple software engineering teams
- Thought leader and partner who will drive and unlock the next generation of ML capabilities at Wayfair
- Hire and build a world class and diverse team of software engineers
- Serve as a senior engineering subject matter expert
- Increase the rate of delivery of the ML capabilities through stronger engineering practices and best-in-class technology
- Think outside of the current technology/stack limitations to push the boundaries on what is possible and deliver feasible solutions collaboratively
- Champion open source solutions and Google Cloud native technologies, and their application to our use cases
- Partner with product leaders to understand technical pain points for data scientists and other engineers and translate them into clear and robust engineering solutions
- Advise engineering and product management on technical roadmap, ensuring that the vision aligns with broader company objectives
- Career manage a group of high performing engineers and help grow the organization through mentorship and developing learning opportunities
- Understand and communicate industry trends to inform our strategy and roadmaps
- Promote a culture of engineering excellence and strengthen the technical expertise of our engineering and product teams
What You'll Need:
- 10+ years of experience leading and building software engineering teams
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering and designing platforms at scale
- Leading teams and designing ML-focused platforms and infrastructure, self-service model development tooling, training and model deployment at scale
- Experience with public cloud (AWS, GCP, etc) ML offerings and driving their adoption
- Experience leading teams developing data pipelines, and orchestrating deployment of ML models
- Experience leading teams developing tools and platforms for Data Scientists with the goal to accelerate model development, training, deployment and monitoring
- Experience with technologies such as Python, Go, Kubernetes, Kafka, Airflow, and other technologies
- Familiarity with ML experiment management tools like MLFlow and ML orchestration and pipelines with experience in either Airflow, Kubeflow
- Excellent communication and analytical skills, with an ability to effectively communicate to senior executives and key senior engineering and business stakeholders
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and hypothesis- driven critical thinking skills to transform data into actionable insights
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.