Wayfair is looking for economists who have the ability to tackle difficult empirical problems. Causal inference, empirical IO, and time series modeling, tightly coupled with principled experimentation, are essential to driving the decision making algorithms that power our core business. We build our systems from the ground up with economic fundamentals in mind.
We are currently accepting internship applications for Summer of 2021 (June 7, 2021 start date; 10-week program).
What You’ll Do
- Help us price millions of products in a complex, two-sided marketplace.
- Measure the demand response to various business decisions, using both observational and experimental methods.
- Address a variety of supply-side questions, like product selection.
- Forecast demand at scale using a combination of time series and machine learning techniques
What You’ll Need
- Currently pursuing a Ph.D. in Economics.
- Background in one of the following is preferred: applied microeconomics, empirical industrial organization, applied macro, empirical finance, time series/forecasting, labor economics, econometrics, experimental economics, development economics, behavioral economics, causal inference, quantitative marketing.
- Appetite for collaborating in a highly interdisciplinary environment with other social scientists, computer scientists, statisticians, operations researchers, and engineers.
- Passion for communicating complex material in a concise and precise way.
- Strong statistics background, ideally including proficiency in Python or R.
- Hands-on experience with bigger datasets, ideally including experience with SQL and Hive.
You will have the opportunity to play a critical role in a growing company while also operating with a high level of executive visibility. The team is focused on creating strategic solutions that steer customer behavior and influence key decision making. Our employees enjoy an environment of strong ownership and quick feedback from building, experimenting and iterating on high-impact work.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.