Staff Software Engineer - Catalog Engineering
By applying to this position, your application is automatically being considered for the range of Engineering roles we have within our Catalog Engineering team here at Wayfair. If we think you might be a fit for our broader Wayfair Engineering team, a recruiter will reach out to learn more about your background and discuss relevant positions in more detail.
Who We Are:
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, we make it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 14 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. By offering millions of products focused on the home, our Catalog Engineering team is faced with challenges never seen before in the e-commerce space, and are creating cutting edge solutions to allow our customers to pick the perfect item for their home!
Our Catalog Engineering team is currently looking for senior technical leaders to help shape the future of Wayfair’s technical stack and partner with business leadership to drive strategic initiatives. As we migrate our monolithic code base over to an SOA, we’re looking for these technical leaders to influence these design decisions while establishing engineering best practices across the organization.
What You’ll Do:
- As a Staff Software Engineer, you’d be responsible for leading and influencing design decisions
- You will join one of our several talented teams within our Catalog Engineering group who are focused on delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers.
- Propose and own initiatives to completion while balancing various technical trade offs including speed to delivery vs ongoing maintainability and others.
- Provide high quality code reviews and scalable architectural designs
- Mentor engineers to increase technical efficiency across the organization through avenues like Tech Talks and paired programming
What You’ll Need:
- 8+ years of full stack engineering experience, and 3+ years in a technical leadership capacity
- Deep understanding of modern programming languages such as Python, PHP, Go, Scala PHP, or similar languages.
- Experience developing microservices in highly available and large scale distributed systems
- Ability to partnering with engineering leadership to influence the design of solutions with customer experience and scalability on top of mind.
- Experience deploying solutions into production within GCP, AWS, Azure or similar cloud platforms
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively with engineers, product managers, and business stakeholders alike
- Experience mentoring engineers, leading code reviews, and establishing best engineering practices.
- Passion for leading cross functional projects through collaboration and influencing design decisions.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.