Totus Medicines, an innovative therapeutic drug discovery biotech, is just emerging from stealth. With a $40M Series A, Totus is poised to revolutionize drug discovery. For the first time, Totus is enabling genome-scale drug discovery to allow the identification of precision medicines for hard-to-drug targets. At its core, Totus is a chemical biology company. Totus’ novel proprietary platform allows screening at a rate more than 100,000 times faster than competitive technologies. Totus has pioneered the development of selective medicines for patients with genetically defined cancers and plans for its first program to enter Phase I by end of 2022. Totus also plans to expand their platform to create therapeutics targeted at neurodegeneration, infectious diseases, and others. We are searching for talented, passionate, high-energy candidates to join our growing team.
About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated Senior Director/Director of Biophysics to join our team. This role will support rapid biophysical analysis of platform chemistry hits with unique mechanism of action on hard-to-drug targets. This will include leading a team performing mass spectrometry, x-ray crystallography, and other techniques to hone in on new small molecule-protein interactions. With a strong background in biophysics assay development, implementation, and a track record of contributing to multidisciplinary drug discovery teams, this position will play a critical role in driving Totus’ portfolio forward.
- Build hit validation cascades to support rapid hit validation and packages to support future hit-to-lead work
- Develop research solutions, design and implement new techniques and strategies to study protein small molecule interactions (Mass Spec/X-TAL/Cryo-EM).
- Employ biophysical methods enabling mechanistic studies to determine the mode-of-inhibition or activation for promising hits.
- Work in collaboration with chemistry, biology, structural biology, and medicine design, characterize and establish SAR to rapidly drive the hit-to-lead process.
- Build and lead a team of biophysicists to support portfolio activities.
- Provide biophysics leadership to project teams.
- PhD in Biophysics, Biochemistry or related discipline.
- 5-10+ years of experience in biotech/pharma industry with a track record of hit-finding, hit-to-lead, and lead optimization to delivering small molecule development candidates.
- An explicit track record of impacting stages of the drug discovery process through biophysical experimental design and results.
- Experience in a wide array of biophysical assay development approaches, including solving crystal structures, NMR, Mass Spec, etc. Fragment, covalent and DEL screening a plus.
- General knowledge of signaling pathways, protein homeostasis, and regulation of gene expression.
- Direct experience in working with and characterizing challenging proteins.
- Experience in collaborating and directing out-sourced CRO activities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience in building and managing a team of scientists with diverse levels of experience, with a keen desire to grow and develop the careers of team members.
What We Offer
A knowledgeable, high-achieving, experienced and fun team
A diverse work atmosphere
The chance to be part of a growing startup and the next success story
The opportunity to shape our company culture
Constant learning and dynamic challenges to help you grow and be the best version of yourself