About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the team:
Maps are one of the basic blocks in building an Autonomous Driving Stack. But Maps are a snapshot of what the world looked like when they were made, hence cannot be trusted 100% when building a L4+ (driver out) system. This team fills in this gap, writing algorithms to consume all relevant real-time data sources, for example perceived lane lines and map data, to provide the downstream software, trustable static world representation.
What you’ll do:
We are seeking an Autonomy Senior Software Engineer to develop software that enables autonomous driving in places where maps could be out of date. As part of the world modeling team, you will be able to
- Execute full software development lifecycle activities using C++, including prototyping and deploying robust and reliable solutions for Static World Modeling problems.
- Analyze and develop the current information fusion and static world modeling algorithms, ensuring our self-driving vehicles have the most accurate static world representation around the vehicle, to drive safely and smoothly on the road
- Test developed algorithms in both simulation and on our trucks
- Research the state-of-the-art information fusion algorithms and apply excellent algorithm design and programming skills to improve our static world modeling software
- Integration of software standards and safety requirements into the software
- Collaborate with a creative team of engineers and researchers in order to solve multi-disciplinary problems
- Improve how our vehicles act and react in complex and nuanced situations
What you’ll need to Succeed:
- Bachelors of Science with 6+ years of relevant work experience in robotics, aerospace, automotive systems engineering or related technical field
- 2+ years of experience writing production code using modern C++ on Linux
- Proficient understanding of probability, statistics, probabilistic modeling, and linear algebra
- Ability to implement algorithms efficiently and in a well-organized software architecture
- Strong communication skills in technical approaches, Fluency in English would be desired
- Proactive, team spirit and open communication
- Willingness to travel
- MS + 3 years of industry experience OR PhD in relevant topic
- Proficient with ROS (Robot Operating System)
- Knowledge about Factor Graphs
- Understanding of 3D Geometry and Transforms
- Knowledge of safety engineering, functional safety and requirements engineering according to ISO26262
- Experience with Python
Perks of being a Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.