About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
About the Role:
As part of the System Design and Safety Engineering organization, you will be responsible for the system engineering rigor and disciplines required to deploy driverless trucks on the road. The team works closely together with our partner at Daimler Truck, and the other divisions within Torc to make sure to have traceable and actionable requirements, logical systems, and physical architectures and strategies, for validating these artefacts to a level required for series production.
What you’ll do:
Collaborate with product management to understand the customer requirements and translate them into engineering requirements. Work closely together with your partner at Daimler Truck and DTNA on the interfaces to the redundant vehicle platform. Be responsible for the tool selection that allows traceability along the V-model all the way from product requirements, through design and software to the test cases. You will ensure achievement of short and long-term business goals; identify and address barriers to success; promote Torc culture to internal and external parties.
- Develop system requirements and architectures out of the product and customer requirements
- Together with your partners at Daimler Trucks N.A, and your peers at Torc, you will develop the requirements and interfaces between the vehicle platform, the AD system, and the mission control center
- Partner with Torc peers to incorporate technology into the overall systems architecture
- Enhance and track processes, milestones, quality metrics, and timeliness of team’s work products to ensure successful completion of goals, tasks, and milestones. Prioritize actively and manage dependent stakeholders.
- Release hardware and software components for test and production
- Develop new industry best practices and learnings in the Autonomous Vehicle domain and provide technical guidance as a player coach if needed
- Hire and build a high caliber team to support product development, track and systematically develop their competencies
- Provide leadership and supervision to direct reports and project team members. Actively manage performance and be accountable for recognition and disciplining of the team members
- Guide the team to set, track, and achieve goals aligned with company-wide vision, goals, and initiatives.
- Foster and reinforce a culture of continuous learning and relentless process improvement. Be a beacon for the Torc values by proactive change and conflict management
- Partner with upper management and directors to motivate teams and celebrate accomplishments
- Identify future growth plan to support organizational needs and partner with People Operations and Talent Acquisition to lead organizational development; includes recruiting, screening, interviewing, selection, hiring and onboarding processes
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, or other related discipline
- Relevant professional certifications related to DRBFM, Functional Safety, System engineering
- 8+ years of experience in developing complex systems and components and bringing technology to production
- 6+ years software development experience. Track record in managing all phases of software development
- 6+ years leading high performance engineering research and development and or Production teams
- Entrepreneurial drive with a demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a fast-paced innovative environment and to deliver products through excellent team management and project management abilities
- Excellent leadership skills to manage and grow a diverse dynamic engineering team through both formal processes and hands-on management
- Ability to network and interface with high-tech companies, work within the structures and processes of both the IT and the trucking industry
- A passion for and the ability to develop and grow colleagues to their highest potential.
- Excellent time management, project leadership and organizational skills to plan, develop, coordinate resources, prioritize effectively, and maintain competing demands simultaneously with frequent interruptions and in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to ethically handle sensitive and confidential information with impartiality and professionalism
- Passion for knowledge in the field of study to maintain the highest level of knowledge, ingenuity, and creative thinking
- Master's degree in Engineering with a focus in Robotics, Electrical Engineering, Control Engineering, Computer Science or similar preferred
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 30 days paid annual vacation
- Company pension plan
- An international work environment
- Flexibility in schedule with remote working options
- Company-wide winter vacation office closure
- Regular team events and other fun activities
At Torc, we’re committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We celebrate the uniqueness of our Torc’rs and do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, or disabilities.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity, we encourage you to apply. We’re always looking for those that are hungry, humble, and people smart and your unique experience may be a great fit for this role or others.