About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
What you’ll do:
Serve as subject matter expert for safety and regulatory compliance, reporting to the CEO of Torc. Build and oversee a safety organization which coordinates all safety efforts across the Company. In this role you will be responsible for development, implementation, and oversight of comprehensive safety programs, practices, and guidelines to ensure compliance with safety regulations, safety standards, and best practices. Promote safety as a core value across all areas of the Company’s business. In collaboration with the leadership team, develop and oversee Torc’s regulatory strategy. Represent Torc before regulatory agencies, industry best-practice setting bodies, technical forums, and at conferences, on expert panels, and in other forums, as appropriate.
- Serve as Chair of Torc Safety Board (TSB), the decision-making body within Torc for safety, risk, and technical compliance topics. Oversee internal safety concern identification and resolution efforts and documentation.
- Serve as Co-Chair for the Legal and Regulatory Safety Committee (LARS). Ensure that LARS sufficiently researches, analyzes, inspects, and assesses safety and quality questions and initiatives, engaging with internal and external subject matter experts as necessary, to properly inform and advise the TSB.
- Work closely with all levels and departments of the organization to effectively create, implement, and oversee a world class safety program. Plan and align the cross-functional integration of safety principles into every facet of the organization and every stage of development, testing, and deployment.
- Partner with all teams responsible for supporting the product safety case and its adherence to relevant safety standards and best practices (ISO, SAE, AVSC, FMVSS, etc.). Review and advise on adoption of such standards, processes, and procedures to comply with those standards, and audit Company compliance with the same to drive safety and industry best-in-class capability and functionality.
- Assist as an independent internal expert and reviewer in order to compile necessary functional safety and/or safety regulatory evidence as well as needed documentation during the product development lifecycle processes.
- Develop and implement a roadmap for continued enhancement of safety activities and capabilities that will scale as the business grows and evolves.
- Work to shape and influence the required modifications of global vehicle safety regulations to accommodate the certification of ADS-equipped vehicles as well as emerging ADS technical and homologation regulatory requirements in relevant markets, including through engagement with relevant policy makers.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related discipline. Advanced degree in related field preferred.
- 12+ years’ experience working in automotive and surface transportation policy. Experience in developing, implementing, advising, and/or managing safety programs and progressive management experience required.
- Direct experience working with government regulations and a thorough knowledge of federal and state government regulations (DOT, FMCSA, NHTSA, etc.). DOT regulations experience working with commercial trucking preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety, with the ability to identify and act upon safety improvement opportunities.
- Effective leader and strong negotiator with safety professionals, regulatory, and/or industry organizations
- Experience that demonstrates professional communication skills with the ability to develop correspondence and reports, create and deliver presentations and interact effectively with diverse clientele.
- Must be flexible and adaptable to new and changing policies, practices, and environments.
Perks of Being a Full-time Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and future. Our culture is collaborative, energetic, and team focused. Torc offers:
- A competitive compensation package that includes a bonus component and stock options
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for full-time employees
- 401K plan with a 6% employer match
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation (available immediately after start date)
- Company-wide holiday office closures
- AD+D and Life Insurance