About the Company
At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, move freight, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing our solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are focused solely on developing software for automated trucks to transform how the world moves freight.
Join us and catapult your career with the company that helped pioneer autonomous technology, and the first AV software company with the vision to partner directly with a truck manufacturer.
Meet the team:
Accurate and highly available information about the vehicle ego-motion and localization is central to ensure an adequate functioning of the virtual driver software of an autonomous truck. Core functionalities such as environment perception and prediction, as well as motion planning and control, strongly rely on this information to guarantee that the vehicle executes a collision-free driving plan. Accordingly, our ego-motion and localization modules are responsible for supplying reliable ego-motion and localization state estimates even in the presence of external disturbances, sensor imperfections, and system degradation.
As part of the ego-motion estimation and localization team, you will be able to design, implement, and improve sensor fusion algorithms for the real-time estimation of the vehicle pose, velocity and acceleration. You will also gain a deep understanding of not only self-driving technology, but also its real-world challenges and how to convert such technology into real products.
What you’ll do:
- Execute full software development lifecycle activities using C++, including prototyping and deploying robust and reliable solutions to ego-motion estimation and localization problems
- Analyze and improve the current ego-motion estimation and localization algorithms, ensuring our self-driving vehicles have the best ego-motion and localization accuracy to drive safely and smoothly on the road
- Test algorithms in both simulation and on our trucks
- Research state-of-the-art ego-motion estimation and localization algorithms and apply excellent algorithm design and programming skills to our self-driving software
- Integration of software standards and safety requirements into the ego-motion estimation and localization software
- Collaborate with a creative team of engineers and researchers in order to solve multi-disciplinary problems
- Improve how our vehicles act and react in complex and nuanced situations
What you’ll need to Succeed:
- Master's Degree in Computer Sciences, Computer Engineering, Robotics or a related field
- Industry experience in robotics, software engineering or relevant PhD Degree
- 3+ years hands-on experience in C++ programming, as well as solid Python programming skills
- Ability to implement algorithms efficiently and in a well-organized software architecture
- Experience with inertial navigation, GNSS, Kalman filtering or sensor fusion
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with unit and regression testing
- Strong applied experience or willingness to gain knowledge in ego-motion estimation and localization
- Enthusiasm for new challenges and willingness to learn
- Fluent in English
- Strong communication skills in technical approaches
- Proactive, team spirit and open communication
- Willingness to work in an international environment and to communicate across time zones
- Willingness to travel
- Knowledge of safety engineering, functional safety and requirements engineering according to ISO26262
- Experience in Hardware and Software of automotive ECUs and sensors
- Knowledge of vehicle kinematics, dynamics, mechatronics, and E/E-Systems
- Proficient with ROS (Robot Operating System)