At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role:
The Program Manager, Release Train Engineer (RTE) is a servant leader and coach for an Agile Release Train (ART). Responsibilities are to facilitate the ART events and processes and assist the teams in delivering value. Maintains effective communication with stakeholders, escalate impediments, help manage risk, drive relentless improvement, and mentor others in Agile methodologies. Drives initiatives on how to scale Agile practices across a large development program and actively participates in the organization’s Lean-Agile transformation.
*This role may be supported in a remote capacity, with travel to Blacksburg when needed.*
- Plans and facilitates ART ceremonies such as Program Increment (PI) Planning, Scrum of Scrums, Product Owner (PO) Sync, System Demos, and Inspect & Adapt workshops.
- Facilitates PI Planning readiness by ensuring the synthesis and alignment of the ART vision and roadmap through cadence-based feature prioritization, estimation, and grooming.
- Summarizes Team PI Objectives into Program PI Objectives and publish them for visibility and accountability.
- Works cross-functionally with Product Management Organization (PMO), Engineering, and other stakeholders within and between ARTs and teams to ensure strategic and execution alignment.
- Coaches and mentors Scrum Masters and teams in Agile methodologies and mindsets.
- Develops and tracks metrics at the ART- and Team-level to demonstrate progress and to identify impediments to delivering value.
- Helps manage program level risks, issues, and dependencies.
- Works relentlessly to improve the flow of value through the ART.
- Collaborates with the PMO, Lean Agile Center of Excellence (LACE), and other RTEs to continuously improve program execution and operational excellence.
- Participates in Communities of Practice (CoP) to strengthen skills and to share knowledge across the organization.
- Facilitates getting work done through supporting, guiding, and influencing the team from a servant leader philosophy.
- Serve as lead or associate instructor for in-house Agile courses.
- Facilitates technical discussions, decision making, conflict resolution, and continuous improvement.
- Crafts and supports effective internal and external communication to improve transparency and information transfer & visibility.
- 5 years of experience as an Agilist in a scaled Agile organization.
- 1 or more years of experience as a SAFe RTE or 3+ years’ experience as a SAFe Scrum Master (SSM) or equivalent for an enterprise or scaled team delivering products and projects of relatively large size, risk, and complexity.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Engineering or related degree.
- Certified SAFe Release Train Engineer (RTE) or Certified SAFe Scrum Master (SSM) or equivalent.
- SAFe Agilist (SA) or SAFe Project Consultant (SPC) certification preferred.
- Hands-on experience with Agile practices such as Scrum, Kanban, and other Agile frameworks.
- Familiar with Software and System Design Life Cycle best practices.
- Experienced meeting facilitator with the ability to handle both in-person and on-line meeting participants.
- Experience mentoring, coaching, and training standard agile topics such as, but not limited to, Agile role-based training, SAFe Principles and Values, Agile methods and principles.
- Experience as a servant leader for various teams, such as Product Management and Development Teams, in their quest to predictably deliver high quality value to customers.
- Superior interpersonal and communications skills to inspire and motivate teams. Capable and effective public speaker.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience as a user of Agile tools, such as Jira or Rally, and Agile metrics.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to build trust and strong working relationships, effectively create and proofread documents and reports, and communicate to a diverse workforce.
- Keen attention to detail to identify problems and processes that do not comply with protocol.
- Critical/logical thinking to identify problems and provide solutions to ensure efficiency, safety, and quality.
- Strong business insight and judgment, team orientation and collaborative style.
- Strong time management and organizational skills to plan, develop, coordinate resources, prioritize effectively, and maintain competing demands simultaneously with frequent interruptions and in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to ethically handle sensitive and confidential information with impartiality and professionalism.
Perks of Being a TORC’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation