At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role:
Our Safety & Mission Assurance team is growing! We are looking for a Director of Safety & Mission Assurance to manage and direct the safety and quality assurance program and projects for Torc Robotics including the Virtual Driver, as well as supporting corporate key performance goals and objectives. This position reports directly into our executive leader overseeing Safety for Torc.
- Leads the Test Safety Program, the Quality Management Program, the Operational Design Domain Expansion Program, and the Verification and Validation Concept Programs.
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining a program to analyze and assess safety, reliability, sustainability, and quality aspects of the design, development, test, manufacturing, and operational phases of Autonomous Vehicle Programs and Projects.
- Responsible for ensuring organizational compliance with accepted requirements and standards including those associated with Torc's Quality Management System.
- Ensures that the SMA organization has a strong collaborative and effective working relationship with the Torc industrial safety program to comply with Torc safety goals and with the laws and regulations imposed by the Federal, State, and other regulatory agencies.
- Serves as technical expert, policy advisor, and consultant to the Director, Fleet Ops/Ops Safety and senior staff on all SMA matters. Advises the Director and senior management regarding the overall status of SMA related issues.
- Develops Company-wide SMA standards and guidelines tailored to unique program requirements and manages the delegated functions such as independent assessments.
- Implements Company SMA policies and practices for autonomous vehicle development, test and operations programs and projects assigned to Torc, provides Technical Authority leadership for these Programs and projects.
- Supports Program milestone reviews providing a certification of test readiness assessment to various Test Readiness Review Boards.
- Serves as the approval authority for the Director, Fleet Ops/Ops Safety on requests for waivers to corporate safety policies and regulations; and acts for the Program offices when authorized as approval authority for waivers to SMA requirements.
- Monitors operations in real time to assist in analysis of test anomalies and corrective measures and participates in posttest analysis and test activities
- Supervisory responsibilities include employee team building and training, performance management, scheduling and assigning work, collecting resources and controlling expenses, and enforces systems, policies, and procedures.
- Assist in the recruiting, screening, interviewing, and hiring processes. Recommends salary increases, promotions, transfers, demotions, or terminations.
- Accomplishes department objectives by supervising staff and organizing and monitoring work processes with the highest degree of quality and safety.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Physical Science, Mathematics, Life Sciences, Computer Science, or other related degree. Master’s Degree in related field of study preferred
- 15+ years’ experience providing leadership to an organization and directly managing multi-disciplined engineering teams and complex projects
- Experience effectively leading an organization responsible for safety and quality assurance processes and procedures for complex systems, including workforce and budgets.
- Experience with engineering safety and quality for controls associated with robotics and autonomous vehicle equipment, applying automotive standards for the development lifecycle, and coaching developers on processes to apply during all phases from concept to production.
- Proven track record of leading a safety or similar program through a certification or regulatory process
- Demonstrated experience with IEC standards for automotive software certification and ISO 26262-compliant Quality Management Systems (including ISO 9001:2015; ISO/IEC 15504 Automotive SPICE™; IEC 62304; ISO 26262, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience managing internal compliance programs and operational safety, incident and accident investigations, and Functional Safety Analysis
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with safety, reliability, and quality assurance policies and practices for design, development, test and certification of large software development programs with a commitment to rigorous testing practices and design process flows
- Desire to develop deep understanding of the business and customer needs
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to build trust and strong working relationships, effectively create and proofread documents and reports and relate data, and communicate to a diverse workforce.
- Strong business insight and judgment, team orientation and collaborative style
- Strong time management and organizational skills to plan, develop, coordinate resources, prioritize effectively, and maintain competing demands simultaneously with frequent interruptions and in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways
- Ability to ethically handle sensitive and confidential information with impartiality and professionalism.
Perks of Being a TORC’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation