At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role:
Our Safety & Mission Assurance team is growing! We are looking for a Automotive Safety Policy Lead to maintain Torc’s safety program ensuring the safe testing of Automated Driving System (ADS)-equipped vehicles. In this role, you would have the opportunity to support and provide guidance to engineering teams, helping to review ADS and vehicle policy and regulatory compliance. This role coordinates and maintains the risk management plan, performs periodic risk safety assessments, investigates incidents, and completes documentation. In this position you would report directly to the Director for Safety and Mission Assurance at Torc.
- Develop, maintain, and serve as gate keeper for the overall Safety and Operations Policy document
- Collaborate on all safety topics with Torc engineering, communications, and legal teams as well as relevant stakeholders
- Develop and maintain the safety processes and documentation for software releases, public road testing, and testing documents
- Support Torc engineering teams to review ADS and vehicle policy and regulatory compliance
- Identify ADS related standards (e.g., SAE, ISO, IEEE) and communicates to relevant stakeholders
- Author Voluntary Safety Self-Assessment (VSSA) and related document updates
- Coordinate documentation for incident and emergency response protocols
- Assist with incident investigation
- Define safety-related test data and reporting needs
- Assist with continuous improvement of safety metrics, method, and evaluation process
- Performs periodic risk safety assessments
- Coordinates and maintains risk management plan
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Automotive Technology, or related field of study
- 15+ years’ experience in automotive and surface transportation safety
- Direct experience working with regulators and policy makers (USDOT agencies)
- Deep knowledge of the US safety environment and processes
- Experienced at data collection, data analysis, and experimental test design
- Technical background in vehicle engineering and regulation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to build trust and strong relationships, effectively create reports and relate data, and communicate to a diverse workforce.
- Strong business insight and judgment, team orientation and collaborative style
- Strong time management and organizational skills to plan, develop, coordinate resources, prioritize effectively, and maintain programs and initiatives simultaneously and in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to thrive in a face-paced environment with quickly changing business needs
- Ability to ethically handle sensitive and confidential information with impartiality and professionalism.
Perks of Being a TORC’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation