At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Team
The Active Sensing and Information Fusion team is responsible for developing perception algorithms to detect and identify objects for Torc’s autonomous driving systems, allowing the system to understand and react to the environment around the vehicle in real-time. Our algorithms utilize 3D point cloud data from LiDAR and objects detected in radar returns. The team also implements the sensor fusion algorithms that combine this data and provide probabilistic state estimation.
We work closely with other engineering teams in behavior and motion planning to create innovative solutions for our Level 4 autonomous system.
About the Role:
We are looking for a Radar expert. In this role you will be responsible to various software development and engineer activities supporting the delivery of autonomy algorithm software to the overall system solution; Perform software development activities to include, but not limited to, software architecture, design, coding, unit testing, integration, deployment and maintenance. Clearly communicate daily status on assigned activities and follow company policies and procedures. Have a background either through education and/or employment in developing, implementing, and testing autonomy algorithms with the areas of behaviors processing, path planning, active sensing, information fusion, machine learning or vision processing. We work closely with other engineering teams to create innovative solutions for our Level 4 autonomous system.
Our Perception teams are responsible for developing perception algorithms to detect and perceive objects for Torc’s autonomous driving systems, allowing the system to understand and react to the environment around the vehicle in real-time. Perception team members create software to utilize algorithms that use sensor data from LiDAR, RADAR, and cameras to detect, classify, segment, and detect, segment, classify, and track obstacles in the vehicle's surrounding environment. Perception software utilizes 3D point cloud data from LiDAR and objects detected in radar returns to create a situational awareness for our behaviors and path planning teams to make vehicle decisions to navigate safety.
Required Competencies :
- Responsible for executing full software development lifecycle activities using C++ skills in Linux development environment using Lean-Agile methodologies
- Responsible to complete software assignments including but not limited to software design, implementation, unit testing, vehicle testing and deployed software maintenance.
- Assist in root cause analysis of issues found in vehicle testing
- Support team in identifying daily assignments and reporting progress at daily stand ups.
- Support software and system level test plans and verification strategies to support ongoing feature development and bug fixes.
- Responsible to ensure software updates do not regress the software performance by utilizing simulation software and scenarios.
- Update simulation software and scenarios for new features or situations encountered in testing software
- Passion for autonomy development and testing
- Drive delivery of practical application of autonomy algorithms to meet program goals and milestones
- Support high risk/high reward prototyping to advance technology incorporation into deployed system
- Exhibit Torc Values: Hungry, Humble, PeopleSmartCommunicate well in a team environment being able to clearly articulate progress, design expectations and support needed to help the team accomplish goals.
- Continuous learning mind-set
Minimum Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Industry Experience in Robotics/Autonomy algorithms, architecture, and design in area of perception software
- Expert knowledge of sensor data algorithms and driver development from RADAR
- Strong in C++ programming skills
- Proficient with ROS (Robot Operating System)
- Strong Antennae theory, DSP, Radar feature extraction, Radar Statistical methods, and Radar classification
- Proficient understanding of probability, statistics, probabilistic modeling, and linear algebra
- Proficient knowledge of vehicle kinematics and dynamics
- Good spatial comprehension and computational skills
- High level understanding of Bayes probability theory
- Proficient knowledge of Kalman filters, sensor fusion and dynamic state estimation
- Proficient knowledge and application in graph theory and search algorithms
- Proficient knowledge working in multiple coordinate frames
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to clearly communicate technical design and approach with peers and more junior team members
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree, or foreign degree equivalent, in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Robotics Engineer, Mechanical Engineering, or engineering equivalent.
- Minimum 6 years’ experience relevant industry experience in robotics, autonomy software engineering; Minimum 3 years’ experience with relevant Master level degree; Relevant PhD Degree
Perks of being a Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation