At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role
This Software Development Manager (SDM) specializes in managing Software Application Test Engineers to perform software integration activities to include: test log analyses, fault identification, analysis and testing on autonomous driving software, and to develop and deploy software test tools. The SDM supports the team and organization by having a Lean-Agile and Servant Leadership mind-set. In this role you would be responsible for personnel management and technical leadership. SDM's at Torc possess strong communication skills that allow for transparent and visual technical progress toward larger milestone achievement.
SDM's at Torc exhibit strong background in systems or software development and testing process within complex development systems to ensure compliance with company and engineering policies and procedures. They exhibit the values of Torc: Hungry, Humble, People Smart along with drive for being part of Winning Teams.
- Responsible for all aspects of people management of technical teams, including talent recruiting, interviewing, selection, team onboarding, goal setting, career development, and performance management
- Facilitate software development and testing standards and processes for the delivery of scalable and high-quality software for autonomous driving vehicles and support systems
- Maintains Team Agile Backlog
- Facilitate team coordination and planning within the defined process
- Coordinate new work requests with existing backlog, making sure items are prioritized appropriately to match the needs of other teams and product. Facilitate backlog adjustments to address product changes and to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Guide the team through effort decomposition and the work estimation process
- Oversees team’s progress toward completion, communicating regularly to all levels within the team, department, and organization
- Enforce software development and testing best practices for the team, improving quality, efficiency, and accuracy of the team’s work
- Collaborates with other Software Development Managers, Department Managers, and Technical Director as needed to set goals and monitor team performance
- Support Department Managers in maintaining and reporting department budgets, department initiatives and procedures.
Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 8 years’ experience as a front-line system or software tester.
- Exhibit strong facilitation, technical team coaching, systems thinking, and servant leadership skills.
- Understands Agile principles and can lead relevant processes
- Able to collect, analyze, and report data related to team efficiencies.
- Working knowledge working with product and/or quality managers, with understanding of business-level priorities.
- Exposure with supporting quality control initiatives and coordination with software quality organization and system integration team processes.
- Exposure to Configuration Management and familiarity with managing software test baselines.
- Exposure contributing to engineering and business area process and procedures creation and maintenance; preferred within the software or system testing area including release readiness.
- Understanding of software deployment models, reporting, bug, and issues tracking and reporting appropriate measurements to product management and internal customers.
- Experience with Scaled Agile development preferred.
- Experience related to automotive or trucking industry preferred.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum 8+ years of overall technical systems or software testing experience with at least 2 years as individual contributor
- Minimum 3+ years of leading technical teams in systems or software development with at least 2 years within systems or software testing organization.
- Minimum 2+ years of personnel management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree, or foreign degree equivalent, in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, or engineering equivalent; Master’s degree preferred.
Perks of Being a TORC’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation