At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role
The Software Development Manager manages software engineers focused on the development and delivery of behaviors, planning and control software for autonomous driving vehicles and support systems. Specifically, this role is within the Behaviors, Planning and Controls Department reporting to the Department Manager. The Software Development Manager is responsible for all people leadership activities for assigned engineers. Facilitates assigned Agile Team(s) backlogs, Agile events and ceremonies. Evaluates results within team to determine whether organizational objectives are being met.
- Responsible for personnel management for assigned engineers including performance reviews, career development, and ensuring conformance with company policies and procedures.
- Participate in Talent Acquisition activities.
- Facilitate the execution of defined Agile Process for assigned agile team(s). Responsibilities include maintaining sprint backlogs, ensure process compliance, reporting of team measurements and maintaining high level of product quality.
- Collaborates with department leadership team to support department goals and ensure consistent process execution and high-quality standards are maintained.
- Oversee team’s progress toward completion, communicating regularly to all levels within the team, department and organization.
- Enforce software development best practices for the team, improving quality, efficiency, and accuracy of the team’s work.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum 3+ experience leading engineering teams in the delivery of software solutions that include complex algorithm development and data models, with emphasis on best practices in coding standards, testing, and systems integration.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience as an individual contributor in systems engineering or software development.
- Exhibit strong facilitation, technical team coaching, systems thinking, and servant leadership skills.
- Knowledgeable of Agile principles and can lead relevant processes
- Experience with Scaled Agile Framework preferred
- Able to collect, analyze, and report data related to team efficiencies.
- Working knowledge working with product and/or quality managers, with understanding of business-level priorities.
- Exposure contributing to engineering and business area process and procedures creation and maintenance
- Experience related to automotive or trucking industry preferred.
- Role Model of Torc Values: Hungry, Humble, and PeopleSmart
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree, or foreign degree equivalent, in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, or engineering equivalent; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 3+ years of leading technical teams in systems or software development
- Minimum 8+ years of overall technical systems or software development experience with at least 2 years as individual contributor
- Minimum 2+ years of personnel management experience
Perks of Being a TORC’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation