At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role:
In this role you will be responsible for various software development and engineer activities supporting the delivery of autonomy algorithm software to the overall system solution; Perform software development activities to include, but not limited to, software architecture, design, coding, unit testing, integration, deployment and maintenance. Clearly communicate daily status on assigned activities and follow company policies and procedures. Have a background either through education and employment in developing, implementing, and testing autonomy algorithms with the areas of behaviors processing, path planning. We work closely with other engineering teams to create innovative solutions for our Level 4 autonomous system.
Our Behaviors and Path Planning teams build software solutions to improve how our vehicles behave in various driving situations based on the perception of the world around our autonomous vehicle. The area you may be involved in are enhancing motion control and path planning algorithms, develop high-level decision structures to manage the goals and regulations of autonomous driving, identify benchmark and test performance of algorithms on Torc's automated vehicles, and add new capabilities to meet our operational goals.
- Responsible for executing full software development lifecycle activities using C++ skills in Linux development environment using Lean-Agile methodologies.
- Responsible to complete software assignments including but not limited to software design, implementation, unit testing, vehicle testing and deployed software maintenance.
- Enhance motion control and path planning algorithms for next generation autonomous driving.
- Develop high-level decision structures to manage the goals and regulations of autonomous driving.
- Benchmark and test performance of algorithms on Torc's automated vehicles.
- Assist in root cause analysis of issues found in vehicle testing.
- Support team in identifying daily assignments and reporting progress at daily stand ups.
- Support software and system level test plans and verification strategies to support ongoing feature development and bug fixes.
- Responsible to ensure software updates do not regress the software performance by utilizing simulation software and scenarios.
- Update simulation software and scenarios for new features or situations encountered in testing software.
- Drive delivery of practical application of autonomy algorithms to meet program goals and milestones.
- Support high risk/high reward prototyping to advance technology incorporation into deployed system.
- Support safety requirements incorporation into daily activities.
- Provide Technical Mentoring within behaviors and path planning teams.
- Passion for autonomy development and testing.
- Communicate well in a team environment being able to clearly articulate progress, design expectations and support needed to help the team accomplish goals.
- Continuous learning mind-set.
- Exhibit Torc Values: Hungry, Humble, PeopleSmart.
- Ability to lead feature development projects and teams.
Minimum Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Industry Experience in Robotics/Autonomy algorithms, architecture and design in area of behaviors and path planning software
- Strong in C++ programming skills
- Proficient with ROS (Robot Operating System)
- Proficient understanding of probability, statistics, probabilistic modeling, and linear algebra
- Proficient knowledge of vehicle kinematics and dynamics
- Good spatial comprehension and computational skills
- High level understanding of Bayes probability theory
- Basic knowledge of Kalman filters, sensor fusion and dynamic state estimation
- Basic knowledge foundation in physics, motion control and kinematics
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to clearly communicate technical design and approach with peers and more junior team members
Required Years of Experience and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree, or foreign degree equivalent, in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Robotics Engineer, Mechanical Engineering, or engineering equivalent.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience relevant industry experience in robotics, autonomy software engineering; Minimum 5 years’ experience with relevant Master level degree; Minimum 2 years with relevant PhD Degree.
Perks of being a Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation
- Less than 2% attrition with a CEO approval rating of 94% (leads the industry)