At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role:
The Technical Director for our Perception team will define the roadmap and strategic direction for the Torc Virtual Driver perception components. As Technical Director, this role requires working closely with the CTO and other top technical leaders to guide the development and provide the overall architecture for the autonomous vehicle.This role will work closely with development teams across all components and departments including testing, systems engineering, and simulation to evaluate system performance and update development roadmaps.
As the technical authority for the Virtual Driver perception components, the Technical Director will also interface externally with component suppliers and customers to define requirements of the system and sensors.
- Guide all technical aspects of development, including technical requirements, system architecture, testing, and integration.
- Accountable for the performance of the perception systems and teams
- Promote software development practices that improve performance, deliver predictably, and maintain the highest level of safety and quality.
- Define the perception system roadmap of the autonomous vehicles in line with the system requirements
- Serve as a technical mentor to development teams ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the software implementation
- Work closely with engineering partners, department managers, and executive team to drive organizational alignment.
- Lead the technical development of multiple software development teams responsible for the Virtual Driver software running on autonomous vehicles.
- Identify, recruit, interview, and retain a diversity of talent to help teams effectively meet the needs of the product and technology systems.
- Coach team members, providing ongoing feedback, tracking competencies, and leading them in their professional development.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Robotics, Computer Science, or similar technical field of study required with a PhD preferred
- Six years of experience working with autonomous vehicles in the field of perception
- Experience leading across multiple technical teams and components within the organization
- Experience utilizing modern software development methodologies such as Scrum or Agile frameworks, etc.
- Strong leadership and technical mentoring skills
- Excellent communications skills and reporting on technical solutions at all levels of the organization as well as external communications to customers and component suppliers
- Strong business insight and judgment, team orientation and collaborative style
- Strong organizational and time management skills to plan, develop, and maintain programs and initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with quickly changing business needs
- Must possess a passion and the ability to develop and grow colleagues and a strong technical team to their highest potential
- Ability to maturely maintain sensitive and confidential information
Perks of Being a TORC’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation