At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role:
As a Safety Conductor at Torc, you will have the opportunity to support the safe execution of tests in our autonomous vehicles. While riding in vehicles for testing you will be responsible for continuously monitoring external weather and traffic environments, road and infrastructure conditions,vehicle operations, safety driver operations, and software data to ensure a safe transportation experience. If you would like to make a positive impact on the development of autonomous vehicles this may be the role for you!
- Actively monitor road conditions, traffic conditions, other vehicles/drivers, accidents, safety signs, barriers, detours, etc., in conjunction with software data and record performance. Review daily logistics reports and conditions (road, traffic, weather, etc.) to understand test opportunities. Check for any vehicle groundings or statuses prior to test and monitor updates during the test. Consult with operations manager to rectify any questions, concerns, or ambiguities in the testing documents.
- Verify the planned capabilities, maneuvers, and environment outlined within each test. Analyzes and verifies system status indicators and communicates any system safety or performance indicators. Monitor driver physical and mental performance to support safety first initiatives and highest level of safety direction for optimal autonomous driving experience. Monitor software and hardware processes when operating the vehicle autonomously. Utilize pause or stop of vehicle operations or tests at any point to reduce risks and immediately inform the operations manager.
- Share detailed analysis and concise accurate detailed feedback and documentation regarding the driving and road conditions, vehicle operations, technology, and identify priorities for immediate attention with engineers and managers. Ensures test data offloading and verifies all testing data and event details are captured and translated.
- In the event of an incident, perform analyses to determine the response and execution of responsibilities for safe mitigation.
- Serve as primary contact for internal and external communications inside the vehicle.
- Be positive and enthusiastic while maintain focus when approached by self-driving enthusiasts & curious spectators.
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality to protect Torc’s proprietary information.
- Train and thoroughly understand and adhere to transportation laws and regulations that apply to the vehicle, road, and state.
- Ensure all training is complete and thorough understanding of objectives for the duties and responsibilities.
- Performs a pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspection, software deployment, and safety checks to verify tasks are completed and performs a safety brief. Concur with the safety driver any concerns.
- Immediately report any repairs, maintenance, or safety concerns before operation of vehicle.
- Education and strong computer literacy, transportation, engineering, safety, or related technology. Skills operating or scripting a Linux system preferred. Knowledge of transportation and/or logistics desired.
- Proficiency with computer software and hardware.
- Ability to monitor software on a laptop; read, analyze, and type in a moving vehicle for extended periods of time
- Must possess analytical abilities and problem-solving skills with exceptional critical thinking skills.
- Ability to maintain continuous focus, stay alert, and maintain composure with dynamic and fast appropriate reaction in a highly stressful environment. Experience operating in a complex and dynamic environment under occasional highly stressful situations.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgement working independently and without distractions throughout the shift.
- Ability to maturely maintain highly sensitive and confidential information
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to build strong relationships, effectively create reports and relate data, and communicate to a diverse workforce.
- Strong organizational skills to monitor multiple competing demands and programs simultaneously.
- Passion for autonomous vehicles, vehicle maintenance, long distance driving.
Travel, Training and Safety Requirements
- Valid US driver’s license with a safe driving record required. Minimum six years of experience driving on US roads. CDL learner’s permit desired or ability to obtain the license within four months.
- Requires continuous education and training with a passion for knowledge to maintain the highest level of ingenuity and creative thinking.
- Excellent vision and adaptability for rapid visual response with excellent peripheral vision and depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to climb into and out of cars and trucks and to sit four to ten hours inside the vehicle on a daily basis.
- Flexibility for day, night, and/or weekend work, and may require work on short notice.
Perks of Being a Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation