At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role:
As the Torc Safety Driver Trainer/Auditor for our Albuquerque site you will serve as the autonomous Class 8 vehicle driver, trainer, and auditor for In-Vehicle Fallback Test Drivers (IFTDs). This role is responsible for implementation, training, and auditing, of the safety driver programs and practices in coordination with the IFTD program manager and operational safety. Ensure IFTDs are trained and perform to program expectations.
Supports oversight for driving operations and driver safety initiatives. Assist IFTD program manager in tracking and reporting of driving safety metrics. Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local government regulations and requirements. Implement and maintain proactive and preventative safety training and programs directed toward keeping the Daimler-Torc IFTD program as the industry benchmark. Assess risks and perform safety and hazard assessments and maintain communications with the driver fleet. Serve as the local IFTD subject matter expert and reports to the IFTD program manager.
IFTD Safety Management
- Works closely with site operations management and IFTD program management to effectively implement a world class safety program including respective Daimler and Roush counterparts from Testing Operations, Regulatory Affairs, Legal, and Test Engineering.
- Assist with implementation and oversight of IFTD monitoring & auditing including the use of Lytx in-cab event recorders and real time monitoring as well as in-person auditing of driving behaviors and practices.
- Assure IFTDs are following all regulatory and program requirements including Federal Pre/Post-Trip inspections, program related process documentation, and obeyance of Federal and program Hours of Service requirements.
- Support safety officers in fulfilling policy & process development, implementation, auditing, and training.
- Contributes to workplace safety and follows OSHA and other state, local, or industry specific regulations.
- Disseminates and monitors Company safety goals and/or benchmarks to employees and subcontractors to ensure continuous learning and improvement in safety performance.
- Serves as a conduit for safety concerns, fulfills company safety goals and objectives, and delivers reporting on progress and opportunities.
- Reviews and reports on IFTD compliance with safety rules and polices, and recommends commendations, disciplinary actions, or dismissal based on performance.
- Integral member of the safety team to assist in assessing risks and safety concerns, communicate organizational priorities, and initiatives to maintain safe workplace for all employees and the community.
- Reviews accident/incident summaries to incorporate into communications and training to maximize the ITFD program.
- Ensure training, communications, policies, and procedures are received and documented demonstrating timely communications.
Driver Safety Training
- Support implementation, maintenance, and delivery of comprehensive IFTD training programs. To include integration with testing training programs, orientations, skill training, incident response training, and emergency preparedness training. Provides feedback to the operations manager, IFTD program manager, and safety teams to improve programs.
- Supports annual reviews of training programs and related content to assure programs are current.
- Ensures that all IFTDs comply with the requirements of their position. Partners with the operations management and safety teams to ensure our vehicles are operated safely and in conformance to established processes and policies.
Testing Support (as IFTD)
- Become qualified as an IFTD.
- Driving and ensuring safe operation of autonomous Class 8 trucks.
- Supports testing activities as a fully qualified IFTD for program vehicles.
- Provides feedback to system engineering on vehicle dynamics and performance.
- Executes federal and program process requirements.
- Manages the Dynamic Driving Task of an Autonomous Driving System.
- Manually drives program vehicles in accordance with program expectations.
- Navigating inter and intrastate regulations, maintaining accurate logs and records
- Creates analytical reports of safety data. Proficient with research, correspondence, and document creation, and reporting to effectively communicate in a professional environment and with software industry professionals.
- Participates in seminars, continuing education, etc., to update knowledge within professional scope
- Stays abreast of industry trends and regulations, maintains certifications, and seeks continuous avenues for growth and improvement.
- 5+ years providing safety training and safety initiatives
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local government Health & Safety regulations (OSHA, ANSI, DOT, FMCSA, NHTSA, etc.). DOT regulations experience working with commercial trucking required
- Must be able to multitask multiple technologies, including communications devices and vehicle status systems
- Able to work early mornings, evenings, and/or weekends, as well as overnight shifts and travel
- Demonstrated commitment to safety with the ability to identify and act upon safety improvement opportunities
- Proficient with computers including Microsoft Office products such as Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Captivate or other e-learning program experience preferred
- Excellent skills in operating Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and utilizing audio/visual equipment for optimal delivery and facilitation of initiatives
- Ability to make presentations and communicate to small and large groups
- Experience that demonstrates professional communication skills with the ability to develop correspondence and reports, create and deliver presentations and interact effectively with diverse clientele.
- Must be flexible and adaptable to new and changing policies, practices, and environments.
- Highly motivated, energetic, self-directed individual with good analytical and problem-solving skills including root cause and risk analysis methodologies
- Leadership and teamwork skills to work collaboratively and influence those with limited safety and health experience
- Understanding of Safety & Health principles and an ability to communicate technical concepts effectively to a varied audience
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to prioritize, and maintain attention to detail.
Education, Licensing, and Certifications Required
- Education in Engineering, Computer Science, business, or related field of study. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Class A CDL with 5 years of experience with Class 8 tractor-trailer driving on public roads and operating in a wide array of weather conditions.
- CDL Training / Testing experience and ability to meet the IFTD Qualification required.
- Tanker endorsement preferred
- Trucking industry affiliations preferred.
- Smith System instructional experience preferred.
- OSHA 10-hour General Industry Certificate preferred.
Travel, Training and Safety Requirements
- Available for up to 50% national travel within the United States to other locations.
- Commercial Driver’s license with a safe driving record required.
Perks of Being a Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation