At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role:
The Operations Manager for our Albuquerque site oversees fleet operations for safe testing of autonomous trucks. Develops and executes an operational testing plan and oversees daily activities consisting of training, auditing, and ultimate safe operations. In this role you will partner with the on-road testing team, CDL safety drivers of autonomous vehicles, and fleet maintenance teams. The Operations Manager provides operational and utilization reporting to business leadership and oversees the testing safety process, dispatch and recovery of test vehicles, and testing objectives. Also, ensures regulatory compliance of a Class 8 test fleet, and ensures all processes and policies are followed as directed. Oversees logistics activities and ensures operations are conducive to established safe practices and in conformance to objectives. Supervises logistics, training and auditing, and the safety conductor team.
- Work with logistics operations, fleet management, on-road testing to ensure safe and productive testing. Ensures maximum testing efficiency while maximizing time and resources and reducing risks and liability exposure.
- Collaborate with engineering to review and approve test plans to assure safe test operations.
- Responsible for fulfilling the established safety testing process and providing feedback to the test engineering teams.
- Define, communicate, and track key performance indicators for our teams.
- Ensure regulatory and DOT compliance.
- Partner with maintenance teams to understand base vehicle issues to mitigate potential downtime in the future.
- Support logistics to develop tools and methods that enable and empower safety and efficient compliant testing.
- Responsible for analyzing testing flow, test mileage, and testing inefficiencies for ways to improve.
- Ensure regulatory compliance and documentation is maintained, appropriately filed, and managed according to policies and procedures and records retention.
- With support from the logistics manager, reviews daily weather forecast, road conditions and closures, traffic concerns and accidents, etc., that could cause a slow down or stoppage and ensures this information is provided to drivers and conductors to avoid potential dangers.
- Ensuring information is communicated in quick and proper formats to the director of operations, safety manager, fleet manager, and safety conductors.
- Investigate and analyze accidents and incidents and ensures appropriate documentation is communicated to leadership in an accurate and timely manner.
- Build and maintain relationships among the headquarters team, Daimler staff, Rouch drivers and staff, and Torc’s team, and understand their needs and drive alignment with Torc’s vision.
- Assist in creating and maintaining guidelines and procedures to protect the confidentiality of all company, site, and program documentation and materials.
- Support the Director of Operations roles and responsibilities.
- Assists with recruitment, interviews, onboarding, training, etc.
- Review and approve applicable expenses and researches issues forwarding variances to appropriate resources.
- Experience in engineering or logistics or transportation
- Experience in program management and operations of highly technical teams such as autonomous vehicles and trucking preferred
- Solid technical knowledge and ability to understand technical designs, challenges, and risks to optimize autonomous vehicles operations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to build strong relationships, effectively create reports and relate data, and communicate to a diverse workforce
- Excellent skills in facilitating small and large groups and present on a wide variety of topics
- Excellent skills in visual design for presentations, operating Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and utilizing audio/visual equipment for optimal delivery and facilitation of initiatives
- Strong business insight and judgment, team orientation and collaborative style
- Strong organizational skills to plan, develop, and maintain programs and initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to thrive in a face-paced environment with quickly changing business needs
- Must possess a passion and the ability to develop and grow colleagues to their highest potential
- Ability to maturely maintain sensitive and confidential information
- Work 2nd shift 3pm- 12am
Education, Licensing, and Certifications Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business, Supply Chain Management, Logistics, or related field of study.
- OSHA 10-Hour certificate preferred
- CDL driver’s license preferred
Travel, Training and Safety Requirements
- Position requires transportation to locations outside the main complex. Valid US Driver’s license with a safe driving record required. May travel occasionally to other states.
- Requires continuous education and training with a passion for knowledge to maintain the highest level of ingenuity and creative thinking.
- Appropriate personal protective equipment is required as needed in assigned areas such as the garage.
Perks of Being a Torc’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation