At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role:
The Director of Operations oversees the site management and autonomous truck operations in Albuquerque, New Mexico including federal and state requirements, safety and other compliance requirements, and reports to the Senior Director of Operational Safety. Responsibilities include daily operations, safety, site on-boarding, vendor negotiations, facilities maintenance and management, and supervision of support employees.
- Develops business plans, matrices and/or key performance indicators that will measure and deliver desired results of goals and deliverables. Examples include distance schedules and miles per day; safety driver and safety conductor logs, safety and productivity measures, absences and turnover; fuel economy and truck repairs, and maintenance histories and costs.
- Completes operations by developing schedules, assigning and monitoring work, gathering resources, implementing productivity standards, resolving operations problems, maintaining reference manuals, and implementing new procedures.
- Accountable for all facilities and transportation expenses, inventories, budgeting and forecasting. Controls expenses by gathering and submitting budget information, scheduling expenditures, monitoring variances, and implementing corrective actions.
- Supports Torc’s safety program and coordinates with the Director of Operational Safety any recommendations for improvement or site-specific needs. Enforces regulatory compliance, including OSHA, D.O.T., FMSCA, E.P.A, and local fire code.
- Maintains appropriate inventory, documents, and files to maintain efficiency in operations and compliance. Ensures appropriate PPE, uniforms, fuel cards, equipment, tools, materials, supplies, etc., are available for optimal continuous operations.
- Manages and monitors operational impacts such as weather, transportation barriers, social or political concerns, fuel costs, etc. Identifies the root cause for any barriers and failures and addresses immediately.
- Promotes Torc, Daimler, and other partners, supports efforts to advance strategic objectives, and fully engages in long term planning efforts. Develops relationships with all internal and external contacts/partners to establish effective communications, highest level of integrity and support to maintain the status as a premier business in the locality. Fosters a sense of community and maintain communications with local police, transportation officials, chamber of commerce, local government, etc.
- Collaborates with the Directors of Safety, Finance, Talent Acquisition, People Operations, IT, and others to proactively discuss any financial, personnel, IT, and other site needs. Develops and maintains consistent site management of safety, employees, information systems, data, and assets that establishes the model for future sites and operations.
- Administration of accident reporting, including responses to first responders and law enforcement agencies, insurance companies and recovery companies collaborating with headquarters. Communicates any issues where scope, complexity, reliability, schedule, budget, and human factors affect optimal workflow and successful completion of objectives.
- Supervisory responsibilities include employee team building and training, performance management, scheduling, collecting resources and controlling expenses, and enforces systems, policies, and procedures.
- Accomplishes department objectives by supervising staff and organizing and monitoring work processes with the highest degree of quality and safety.
- Maintains staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees and developing growth opportunities.
- Accomplishes job results by planning, monitoring, coaching, praising, counseling, and disciplining employees.
- Conducts training.
- Maintains safe and healthy work environment by establishing and enforcing organization standards and compliance.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Education & Experience Requirements :
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Engineering, Operations, or related field of study
- 8+ years of progressive experience in operations and management of a transportation/trucking center and fleet
- Knowledge of autonomous vehicles and the unique opportunities of the dynamic enterprise
- Knowledge of the industry’s legal obligations, regulations, and guidelines
- Previous experience with site and financial operations, supervision and training, procurement, facilities management, and crisis management in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to build strong relationships, effectively create reports and relate data, and communicate to a diverse workforce. Strong interpersonal skills to be able to effectively manage in high-pressure situations
- Excellent skills in facilitating small and large groups and present on a wide variety of topics
- Excellent skills in visual design for presentations, operating Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and other software, and utilizing audio/visual equipment for optimal delivery and facilitation of initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to participate in and advance goals and strategies of a collaborative executive leadership team
- Strong business insight and judgment, team orientation and collaborative style
- Strong organizational skills to plan, develop, and maintain programs and initiatives simultaneously
- Must possess a passion and the ability to develop and grow colleagues to their highest potential
- Ability to maturely maintain sensitive and confidential information
Travel, Training and Safety Requirements
- Position requires transportation to locations in Albuquerque and nationally to other sites. Driver’s license with a safe driving record required
- Requires continuous education and training with a passion for knowledge in the business field of study and fleet management to maintain the highest level of ingenuity and creative thinking
- Appropriate personal protective equipment is required as needed in assigned areas such as the garage.
Perks of Being a TORC’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation