At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role
The Software Development Manager leads a team of technical staff focused on the development and delivery of software for autonomous driving vehicles and support systems. Owns all people leadership responsibilities for respective team(s) and is accountable for facilitating the product backlog, managing resources, and holding team members accountable for goals. Evaluates results within team to determine whether organizational objectives are being met.
- Responsible for team management, including resource allocation, workload prioritization, backlog maintenance, cross-functional team collaboration, talent selection, team on-boarding, career development, and performance management.
- Facilitate backlog adjustments to address product changes and to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
- Collaborate with other Software Development Managers, Department Manager, and Technical Director as needed to set goals and monitor team performance.
- Maintain sprint backlog alongside Technical Team Lead(s).
- Facilitate team coordination and planning within the defined process.
- Guide the team through feature decomposition and the work estimation process.
- Oversee team’s progress toward completion, communicating regularly to all levels within the team, department and organization.
- Enforce software development best practices for the team, improving quality, efficiency, and accuracy of the team’s work.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience leading engineering teams in the delivery of software solutions that include complex algorithm development and data models, with emphasis on best practices in coding standards, testing, and systems integration.
- Strong facilitation, technical team coaching, systems thinking, and servant leadership skills.
- Understands Agile principles and can lead relevant processes; must have 1+ year of hands-on experience with Agile development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban).
- Able to collect, analyze, and report data related to team efficiencies.
- Experience with Scaled Agile development preferred.
- Experience related to automotive or trucking industry preferred.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years prior experience leading technical teams
- Bachelor’s degree, or foreign degree equivalent, in Computer Science or Systems Engineering or engineering equivalent; Master’s degree or Ph.D. preferred.
Perks of Being a TORC’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation