At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role:
Position is a member of the System Engineering and Test team defining, tracking, and updating the requirements and system architecture for our autonomous driving software. This team provides a central role in the product development process, ensuring that the system being developed matches the customer needs.
- Derive product requirements from external stakeholders, regulatory bodies, liability review, operating domain, and societal expectations.
- Research, architect, interpret data, and define functional design requirements for the Torc Virtual Driver and related systems in the Autonomous Ecosystem.
- Responsible for ensuring security, performance, manageability, quality, and consistency of the product architecture across the system and provide technical guidance to development teams.
- Lead design discussions regarding technical details of cross organization, spanning across hardware, software, functional safety, validation, and operations considerations. Evaluate and recommend tools, technologies, and processes to ensure the highest quality product platform.
- Develop system architecture design documentation including description of the dynamic driving task, functional flow block diagrams, requirement derivation and allocation to components based on the ASIL designation
- Maintain traceability between different levels of requirements as well as mapping to verification tests throughout the product life cycle including planned iteration and requirement modifications
- Collaborate closely with functional safety engineering teams to ensure the design process is aligned with industry best practices as defined in ISO 26262, ISO 21448 (SOTIF), and other emerging standards
Skills and Qualifications:
- Background in working on robotics within loosely bounded operational design domains
- Familiarity with functional safety analysis processes (HAZOP, FMEA, STPA, FTA)
- Familiarity with model-based design
- Programming experience in C++ and Python is beneficial
- Multimodal sensor usage and knowledge background is beneficial
- Broad understanding of engineering fundamentals in software, networking, electrical, and mechanical systems, and system components
- Strong engineering communication skills in both written documentation and verbal presentation, especially the ability to communicate complex technical issues to a diverse team
- Strong time management and organizational skills to plan, develop, and maintain programs and initiatives simultaneously.
- Ability to thrive in a face-paced environment with quickly changing business needs.
- Ability to maturely maintain sensitive and confidential information.
- Open to occasional travel to partner or customer facilities. Identification for travel required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, robotics, electrical engineering or related technical field
- 4+ years technical design experience for robotic, automotive, aerospace system or other safety critical applications
- Experience writing requirements and use of a requirements management system
- Experience developing or implementing vehicle level control software is highly desirable
- Requires continuous education and training with a passion for knowledge in the engineering field of study to maintain the highest level of ingenuity and creative thinking.
Perks of Being a TORC’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation