At Torc, we have always believed that autonomous vehicle technology will transform how we travel, ship goods, and do business.
A leader in autonomous driving since 2007, Torc has spent over a decade commercializing their autonomous solutions with experienced partners. Now a part of the Daimler family, we are developing automated trucks to transform transportation.
Join us and take your career to new heights with a company that helped pioneer autonomous technology. You’ll work with an experienced team of people who are committed to creating safer roads, and your contributions will have an impact on the future of transportation.
About the Role:
Torc is looking for a System Engineer to join a team responsible for defining, tracking, and updating the requirements for our autonomous driving system. This team provides a central role in the product development process, ensuring that the system being developed matches the customer needs, and making the design decisions that pave the way to productization of this technology.
- Create the behavioral, physical, and safety specification for an SAE L4 autonomous truck product.
- Lead design discussions regarding technical details of cross organization, spanning across hardware, software, functional safety, validation, and operations.
- Identify key product challenges and generate achievable solutions.
- Derive product requirements from external stakeholders, regulatory bodies, liability review, operating domain, and societal expectations.
- Develop system design documentation including description of the dynamic driving task, functional flow block diagrams, requirement derivation and allocation to components based on the ASIL designation.
- Work with a highly skilled and experienced international team to find the right design solutions to exceptionally complex and challenging problems.
- Collaborate closely with functional safety engineering teams to ensure the design process is aligned with industry best practices as defined in ISO 26262, ISO 21448 (SOTIF), and other emerging standards.
- Degree in systems engineering, robotics, electrical engineering, or related technical field.
- 2+ years technical design experience for robotic, automotive, or aerospace systems.
- Experience specifying requirements for complex products with multiple levels of subsystems is highly desirable.
- Experience developing or implementing vehicle level control software is highly desirable.
- Background in working on robotics within loosely bounded operational design domains.
- Familiarity with functional safety analysis processes (HAZOP, FMEA, STPA, FTA)
- Familiarity with model-based design.
- Programming experience in C++ and Python is beneficial.
- Multimodal sensor usage and knowledge background is beneficial.
- Broad understanding of engineering fundamentals in software, networking, electrical, and mechanical systems and system components.
- Excellent engineering communication skills in both written documentation and verbal presentation, especially the ability to communicate complex technical issues to a diverse team.
- Open to occasional travel to partner or customer facilities.
Perks of Being a TORC’r
Torc cares about our team members and we strive to provide benefits and resources to support their health, work/life balance, and their future. Additionally, we are always open to suggestions to accommodate individual employee needs. Torc offers:
- Full coverage of monthly medical premiums for full-time employees
- Medical/dental/vision/ AD+D and Life Insurance
- 401K plan with employer matching
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Leadership development training
- Collaborative, energetic, and team-focused work environment
- Flexibility in schedule and generous paid vacation