At Too Good To Go, we have an ambitious goal: to inspire and empower everyone to fight food waste together.
More than 40% of all food produced in the world is wasted and retailers lose between 1-3% of their annual sales due to food waste. All of this waste has a huge impact on the health of our planet, with 10% of greenhouse gas emissions coming from food waste.
The Retail Technologies teams at Too Good To Go are working on our new software solution that is used directly by Retailers to seamlessly track and redistribute surplus food. This B2B app, connected to our consumer marketplace, helps stores better manage expiry dates by detecting products that are about to expire, recommending what to do with them, and by facilitating their redistribution (via discounting for in-store customers, donations to charities, or sales on the marketplace). This business app is already used by tens of thousands of store employees every morning, and soon to be hundreds of thousands by the end of the year.
We’re more than just a tech company: we are a certified B Corporation with a mission to empower everyone to take action against food waste. So alongside our marketplace and business apps, we create educational tools, explore new business solutions, and influence legislation to help reduce food waste.
We are growing fast, with a community of 77 million users in 17 countries. Together, we have saved more than 220 million meals from going to waste since we started - but there’s still a lot more we want to achieve.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer, Backend to be a part of our Product Teams that define, build and deliver our product features. Working in a product team means you will work towards specific outcomes with the freedom and responsibility to figure out the best route to achieve them together with the other Engineers and Product members of the Team.
Your mission will be to help refine, design, implement, deliver and maintain various product features. You will be one of several developers, working as part of a multidisciplinary team and will bring your knowledge and expertise to the table.
As a Senior you will actively support your engineering lead in delivering a quality, maintainable and international top-class product, whilst being a role model for less-senior team members, by taking responsibility for problems and using your expertise to identify the right solutions.
The Tech Stack
Our solution runs on Python on the backend, using the Django framework, with PostgreSQL as our database. At present we use Heroku as Cloud Infrastructure and Git for version control, alongside other tools such as Celery / RabbitMQ for messaging and Sentry / NewRelic for monitoring.
- Work on optimising our cloud architecture to support our solution in line with the growth and scalability of our product across markets.
- Implement a flexible architecture that enables us to connect to our customers’ variety of APIs, deploy necessary APIS for mobile applications/dashboards and monitor full API performance.
- Collaborating with the data team to record and analyse data transmitted by our applications and customers.
- "Participate in mentoring, and coaching whilst actively giving and encouraging regular feedback with those around you.
- Be an inspirational member of the team, ensuring those around you follow and trust in your actions towards building the best long-term product
- Be responsible by acting as an owner for problems which may arise, unless agreed upon by others, we will count on you to look at the bigger picture, even if this may fall outside of your usual day-to-day.
- Think big, we want you to push your limits, and think outside of the box, addressing ways in which we can add scalability to our work.
- Simplify things and break down what looks hard into smaller digestible pieces:
- Spread your expertise
- Distribute work
- Deliver on commitments and be accountable. This is your chance to #buildalegacy.
- Actively participate in your teams’ agile development processes, with a continuous improvement mindset"
The Ideal candidate
- A wealth of experience in a Backend and Cloud development role.
- Proven production experience in Python (Django), PostgreSQL, Messaging Systems, Cloud architectures & Git.
- Enjoys actively participating in a cross-functional product team.
- Experience with building scalable solutions.
- Takes pride in writing quality code.
What we offer
- Develop and maintain the backbone of our Retail Technologies solution, which will be used by 1000s of retailers every day, to support them in their efforts to combat food waste, positively impact their sales and reach an even bigger audience.
- An opportunity to have a huge impact, knowing what you help design will be used daily by hundreds of thousands of store employees daily, enabling to save millions of food items per day.
- This a rare opportunity to work in a global social impact company (and certified B Corporation!) where you can see a real and tangible impact in your role.
- An autonomous environment, with several opportunities to contribute, build on experience and take ownership of your work in a way that works for you.
- A nice bunch of colleagues in the Paris office 🙂 (~100+ people) and beyond them 1,300+ colleagues across 17 countries that are on the same important mission.
- Opportunity to influence our product, design and ways of working, every day.
- An informal atmosphere, with a strong, values-driven team culture where we celebrate successes and socialise with colleagues that care to offer
- Robust Developer Tooling and CI/CD support.
- We work from the office on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
- We fight together: food waste is a big beast to fight. We can do it if we fight together as Waste Warriors with no ego. We believe in a #oneteam.
- We raise the bar: we always push for more. We work smart, smash barriers, and elevate one another.
- We keep it simple: our ambitions are bold but our solutions are simple.
- We build a legacy: we’re proud of the change we’re driving.
- We care: we always look out for each other. Caring is also about the way we do business. We do the right thing.
Job Ref: #LI-RS1
A Movement for Everyone
We want to inspire and empower everyone to fight food waste together. With that mission, it’s only natural that we want to build a diverse and inclusive team of highly capable individuals who are passionate about doing things in a better way. We strongly believe we all excel and are more creative when we’re allowed to be ourselves, and we’re committed to a culture where all of us belong.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.