Tomorrow.io Space division is responsible for the development of unique spaceborne sensing systems and for the overall space mission, from architecture through implementation. The data being collected will be integrated seamlessly into Tomorrow.io existing forecasting and modelling systems and will revolutionize global weather forecasting and insights.
We are looking for a Chief Engineer who will play an integral role in the development through operations of a space-based weather radar system.
As a Chief Engineer at Tomorrow.io, you will provide technical leadership in the development through operations of a unique small satellite constellation and mission. You will complete trade and architectural studies across the mission architecture, and lead technical implementation and execution of the constellation development. You will also lead the systems engineering team and the implementation of systems engineering processes.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the technical development of the constellation and associated mission architecture, spanning mission design through on-orbit operations.
- Contribute to, and ultimately own, technical tasks and artifacts such as performance simulations and analyses, technical budgets, and requirements and verification methods
- Work with stakeholders across the mission architecture, from internal team members to external subcontractors and partners.
- Lead the systems engineering effort and champion lean but effective Systems Engineering processes. Own core program documentation and system definition items such as conops, specifications, ICDs, etc.
What you bring:
- B.S. in Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering, or equivalent field
- 5+ years direct experience within a spacecraft development program, spanning all phases (design through operations on orbit)
- Understanding of all spacecraft subsystems
- Thorough understanding of the space environment and spacecraft dynamics, including orbital mechanics, rigid body dynamics, thermal environment and associated design methods, and radiation environment and associated design methods.
- Expertise in modelling and simulation, including tools such as STK and Matlab/Python
- Expertise in requirements/verification process
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Team leadership experience
- M.S. in Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering, or equivalent field
- Experience with small satellites (< 200 kg)
- Experience with RF payloads
- Experience with implementation of ground systems (operations infrastructure, ground stations, mission planning, etc)
- Experience with constellations, as opposed to single-satellite missions
- Experience working with both hardware and software teams
- Experience in a startup or small company/team environment
Tomorrow.io is helping Countries, Businesses and Individuals better manage their Climate Security Challenges. Fully customizable to any industry impacted by the weather, customers around the world including Uber, Delta, Ford, National Grid and more use Tomorrow.io to dramatically improve operational efficiency. Tomorrow.io was built from the ground up to help teams predict the business impact of weather, streamline team communication and action plans, improve productivity, and optimize profit margins.
Space: In case you have not heard, we are also going to space with our Operation Tomorrow Space initiative. We are building the first-of-its-kind proprietary satellites equipped with radar, and launching them into space to improve weather forecasting technology for everyone on Earth.
How we roll: We work in an “one office” environment. We believe that magic happens when people work together. Together also includes Zoom meetings, flexible hours and unlimited vacation days. Your success is achieved by your impact and deliveries and not by the hours you put in. We believe in transparency and directness, putting work before ego and empathy. We grow fast and move faster but we always see people first. Each person has their own career growth path for we believe that the only way for the company to grow is if you grow.