Togetherwork is a family of entrepreneurial businesses providing online dashboard solutions (SaaS) to groups and organizations for management, administration, and payments. Its purpose is to help these businesses grow, become more efficient, increase revenue, and provide excellent service to their members and constituents.
Togetherwork’s business lines provide software and payment solutions to a range of groups, including associations, fraternal organizations, museums, nature centers, pet services, universities, associations, and zoos.
At Togetherwork, we are building the leader in Group Management Software and Payments by bringing together companies that connect people with the institutions most important to them. Our group of innovative companies are best-in-class in their respective verticals with strong management teams and commitment to customer service. When you start here, you will find yourself in an environment that is exciting, motivating, challenging, and fun.
What you will be doing:
Reporting to the Director of IT Operations, the Manager of DevOps is responsible for managing the teams responsible for automation and orchestration that powers the SaaS applications of Togetherwork as well ancillary systems needed for application development. This role is responsible for the DevOps area as well as Database Administration. The person in this role will work closely with all of the other groups that comprise the Togetherwork IT team including Enterprise Architecture, Information Security, and IT Service Delivery. This role will be directly responsible for how DevOps services and support are delivered to the product lines that are part of Togetherwork. Further, this person will contribute to and influence the analysis, design, planning, implementation, and maintenance of all facets of the application value stream after development as it relates to the support and maintenance of existing systems supporting applications and tools needed during the development of new solutions.
Experience / Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer or math-related field.
- 3-5+ years of managing experience over a team of at least three people. Preferably in an IT related role.
- Experience utilizing Agile for managing work and experience with project planning.
- Ability to travel as needed, within the US. 1 - 2 times per year.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, math and communication skills.
- A continuous learner that enjoys working hands on with people and developing technical talent in junior and veteran staff alike.
- An unquestionable work ethic with the ability to accomplish established goals with little to no oversight and a willingness to ensure that tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Experience managing and developing technical resources, coordinating work efforts with project managers and company leadership to define project scope, doing capacity planning for existing resources, estimate timelines, mentoring/coaching both subordinates and peers, and demonstrated ability to collaborate across teams to accomplish high impact initiatives.
- Strong technical documentation skills for creating and developing a shared knowledge base, creating processes and procedures for communication and organization internally and externally.
- Ability to present highly technical or niche concepts in an approachable and engaging way to non-technical peers. Additionally possesses the skills to address concerns with accuracy or approach in a way that promotes open communication and engagement.
- Deep understanding of concepts related to "infrastructure as code", configuration management, and experience automating manual processes to reduce lead time for integral processes. Hands on experience with development and infrastructure teams and an understanding of how teams work collaboratively using version control, and how to facilitate enterprise level CI/CD for SaaS platform teams and proper change management control practices.
- Experience developing team goals and performance management of technical contributors.
- A demonstrated ability to be flexible and comfortable having to diagnose problems and situations from a distance, communicate effectively, and read between the lines to support teams that may lack depth or expertise needed to remove ambiguity.
- Thorough understanding of application and infrastructure stacks and a demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally between application groups, product management teams, and DevOps contributors in a way that allows for informed decision making and problem solving by being able to speak to each groups needs and bring individual contributors to a consensus on the best way forward.
- First-hand knowledge and experience installing and configuring physical and virtual servers following industry best practices using advanced techniques for replication and prepared for demanding workloads, as well as experience coaching employees on how to build world class systems.
- Exceptional understanding of a diverse set of disciplines required to support Togetherwork's internal customers ranging from hardware configurations and standards, web application principles, and database engine internals including storage, optimization, and execution. Responsible for overseeing diagnosis and root cause analysis of potential performance problems using a deep technical understanding.
- Seven or more years of applicable experience in our industry. Experience with membership management and payment companies is a plus.
- At least three years of experience using cloud providers such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google GCP. Strong preference for Amazon AWS.
- Proven experience with a strong portfolio of examples that automate basic and advanced tasks to standardize solutions and allow administration at scale. A proven track-record of understanding what it takes to build enterprise level software, work with teams to develop requirements, build scalable and fully featured applications, and then successfully support those systems beyond launch and into high levels of demand.
- Experience managing large numbers of servers, and a diverse set of systems, both physical and virtual servers existing across different domains and data centers.
- Deep understanding of database recovery principles such as backup and restores, monitoring, and troubleshooting techniques.
- Experience with reporting and analytics to aid in department growth, tracking internal key metrics, and developing KPIs for measuring success.
- Experience with Terraform, SaltStack, and Gitlab.
- Leading the DevOps team regarding the installation and configuration of servers and systems using industry best practices and establishing standards for the company to be used across the enterprise. This includes backup and recovery topology design, estate and capacity planning, and how to best configure servers to optimize administration and performance in the data centers we maintain. Codify stewardship programs to ensure that we're making the best use of our resources and human capital.
- Coordinating with the InfoSec team for implementation and compliance of data security policies and ensuring that they adhere to compliance polices and industry regulations. Additionally, work with the InfoSec team and the Togetherwork Compliance Officer regarding data classification efforts to ensure an accurate inventory of sensitive data stored within the corporate databases.
- Protect data assets by maintaining strict security policies, abide by the principle of least privilege, and guard against data compromise.
- Ensure our teams are able to triage problematic situations, suggest changes to improve performance, reduce contention, and maintain availability of DevOps assets. Ensure that these responses are reliable, timely, and effective for our internal customers.
- Develop and enforce standards for consistent structures across the enterprise. This involves published naming conventions, server templates, recovery model and retention capabilities, and access control, and provisioning guidelines that must be adopted across the enterprise.
- Establish and maintain RPO and RTO for individual environments by product line. Create a support matrix with expected SLA's of uptime and response time. This also includes identifying individual retention needs based on business processes and regulatory compliance such as PCI, SOC, and HIPPA.
- Ensure business continuity by a clearly defined disaster recovery process that will adhere to established RPO and RTO across hosting providers to ensure redundancy and prevent loss within scope of RPO. Coordinate with the engineering teams of the product lines to ensure that recovery tests are performed regularly to ensure our ability to meet RTO and RPO goals.
- Facilitate hosting facility on-boarding by defining and maintaining a process play book by which we identify needs, establish scale and scope, inventory resources, and overcome gaps so that we can achieve cost savings by utilizing shared and maintained infrastructure.
- Lead the team as appropriate for any concerns related to the network and system infrastructure ensuring proper configuration, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring of security firewalls, sites/software, servers, data and file encryption, and internet connections.
- Ensure enterprise wide monitoring and alerts are in place for systems and infrastructure to ensure and measure adherence to established RTO and RPO. This should be maintained with regular audits that fall within the corporate compliance requirements.
- Lead the team regarding capacity planning for storage and compute across the enterprise to match expectations for budgetary concerns and resource allocation. This will ensure that we do not under-provision our systems. Use this planning to keep downtime to a minimum as well as prevent emergency maintenance support.
Shared Services, Automation, and Monitoring – 25%
- Create or maintain administration tools to simplify, standardize, and automate common repetitive tasks that allow the team to scale more easily and insulate from mistakes.
- Oversee the installation, configuration, and maintenance of centralized tools consumed by product lines to assist with all phases of the software development life cycle.
- Build and maintain complex reporting for the enterprise and collaborate with teams responsible for maintaining these initiatives.
- Maintain and implement systems responsible for CI/CD of automation tools.
- Create reports to show health of systems, progress of maintenance tasks, and adherence to security policies.
- Develop, manage, and maintain automated processes to effectively administer, support, and perform maintenance on servers and systems. This should include standardized processes for our systems to perform regular maintenance such as integrity checks, backups, replication, and optimization.
- Work with the Technology Operations Officer to establish operational and capital budgets in order to address the needs of various areas of the DevOps team, for example, system infrastructure, tooling, networks, and databases. Also ensures adherence to overall financial objectives of the business and tracks the annual departmental expenditures and directs the department’s financial needs in conjunction with the financial guidelines set by department leadership.
- Develop and maintain a set of comprehensive OKRs that give guidance to the team on the best way to serve the company and achieve the high-level objectives of the company at large.
- Work with the Technology Operations Officer to establish budget for pay scales for positions on the team as needed. Create job descriptions, progression plans, career paths for current and future employees working on the teams.
- Establish goals and success indicators for the IT Ops team and individuals. Perform regular reviews with direct reports employees and provide candid feedback, retrospective takeaways, and come up with comprehensive plans for how to grow that employee to fit department needs and utilize their existing talent and interests.
- Oversee on-call support processes to ensure that IT Operations resources are adequately staffed and prepared to respond to events. Provide training and resources for team so that team members have the tools and documentation necessary to do the job. Finally, be available for task elevation when problems exceed team expertise or answers require decisions that have architectural implications.
- Meet or exceed annual goals.
- Comply with all company, divisional and departmental policies and procedures.
- Manage time sensitive tasks on a daily basis.
- Work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Coordinate on-call availability for database system support.
- Protect confidential information.
- Contribute to departmental and company goals and objectives.
- Other duties as required.
The Company offers a comprehensive employee benefits program, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- 100% Employer paid short/long term disability
- Basic Life
- 401(k) option with 100% company match
- Flexible paid personal/vacation time built on mutual trust and accountability
- 10 sick days annually
- 9 company paid holidays
- 6 weeks paid parental leave
Inclusion and Diversity: Togetherwork is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are a company where diverse backgrounds, experiences and viewpoints are valued. Togetherwork does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, age, ethnic or national origin, or any other basis protected by all local, state or federal laws.