Who we are
Lit is on a mission to ensure every kid, everywhere is a reader. We work directly with schools and systems across the country to translate the “science of reading” into scalable, research-aligned programs and replicable practices that provide the pathway to equitable reading outcomes for students, particularly Black, Latino/a, and students currently experiencing poverty.
Lit is an entrepreneurial, growing start-up that is positioned to lead the way in next-generation literacy solutions. We are looking for a Service Designer who wants to ensure every kid, everywhere is a reader by:
improving reading ecosystems, adult practice, and student outcomes by supporting educators in aligning program and practice to research
disrupting dominant narratives about reading achievement in racially, culturally, and linguistically diverse student populations
ensuring that there is no daylight between our pursuit of research and instructional equity
The Service Designer, Internal Learning reports directly to the Director of Lit Learning and leads design and development of Lit’s services and aligned internal training on service delivery. As a Service Designer, Internal Learning, you will be responsible for deepening your understanding of our users and our business challenges and transforming those understandings into holistic, human-centered services and associated products that benefit and sustain both our customers and our organization.
This is the perfect role for someone who wants to be on the ground floor of founding and building our design shop; finds joy in creating products and services that solve education’s most pressing challenges; and has proven experience working with external clients and internal teams to define, design, and build core service models and associated products.
Here is something else you need to love: You need to thrive and work ridiculously well within ambiguity. That means, where others see mess and instability, you see an opportunity to create clarity and structure.
As Lit grows and scales, a successful Service Designer, Internal Learning could develop into a more senior position, establishing and managing a functional internal design department in support of Lit’s evolving goals.
What you will do
- Co-create and continually refine the the core logic model that drives Lit’s service offerings
- Evaluate current offerings through the lens of partner demand, feasibility of execution, sustainability of design, and achievement of logic model outcomes
- Design, codify, and refine Lit’s school support service models to ensure interactions achieve outcomes and measurement approaches assess outcomes in a logical and coherent manner
- Build and adapt scalable service models to fit a variety of contexts and constraints
- Lead user testing of new service and product ideas, including running interviews and focus groups with users, getting feedback on prototypes, and organizing feature pilots
- Incorporate feedback from internal and external stakeholders to continually improve service offerings that increase impact, satisfaction and profitability
- Ensure Lit has the measures needed to evaluate the core logic model’s efficacy, determine our impact across partners, and articulate data-driven next steps for evolving the logic model
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to design human-centered frameworks, tools, resources, and professional learning experiences that support the implementation of Lit’s school support service models
- Coaching frameworks, tools, and resources used for diagnosis, goal-setting, planning, observation, and progress monitoring
- Trainings that complement the school support model for team members to use in the development of school and systems leaders
- Trainings that assist the school support team in acquiring skills and knowledge that will increase their effectiveness with their partners
- Conduct research to identify and see the real problem our users face and represent those problems with data; propose solutions to overcome their challenges and work with teammates to build out initiatives that would implement solutions
- Lead and manage projects that require working cross-functionally with the Lit School Support team to develop the frameworks, tools, resources, and professional learning experiences that the team will use to set and pursue goals with partners, such as:
- Evaluate the effectiveness of tools and resources and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to refine them based on quantitative and qualitative data
- Work cross-functionally with various Lit divisions to conduct research and design cycles that produce tools and resources that can be disseminated to the wider field
- Monitor and ensure projects stay on track and are delivered with a focus on speed to market, cost management, and internal collaboration and buy-in so that Lit meets its organizational objectives and key results
- Engage in regular feedback loops with service and sales teams to understand effectiveness of existing offerings on partner outcomes, satisfaction, renewal, and expansion
- Collaborate with the members of the senior leadership team to design and facilitate internal trainings on services and associated products to ensure coherent, informed, and invested use
- Author and provide professional learning to team members on service implementation and the effective use of frameworks, tools, and resources
- Observe how team members are using frameworks, tools, and resources in the field and leverage observations to provide in-the-moment as well as team-wide feedback
- Lead service and/or product initiatives that span across multiple teams, including content, product, design, engineering, marketing, and measurement
- Work cross-functionally to support the development of sales and marketing communications, including nurturing campaigns, presentations, slicks, proposals, and impact studies
- Drive the delivery of initiatives and large-scale projects from initial concept and planning, through execution and release
You are someone who has the following qualifications
- Has at least at least three (3) years of experience working with or in schools, specifically in K-8 reading
- Is an experienced product or service designer with at least six (6) years of experience with:
- Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- Nearpod or Pear Deck
- Learning management systems (e.g., Canvas, TalentLMS, etc.)
- Canva, Adobe Photoshop, or Adobe Illustrator
- Articulate 360 and/or Adobe Captivate
- Popular methodologies (keywords: Kanban, Agile, Lean, Scrum) in search of better ways of working
- Building logic models, service offerings, and measurement tools that are replicable and adaptable across many school and system contexts
- Developing or adapting tools such as rubrics, observation frameworks, or other outcome measures
- Designing and building professional learning content that has demonstrated impact on positively influencing mindsets and behaviors
- Building good, long-lasting relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Developing team members and cross-training internally to promote organizational impact
- Using e-Learning authoring tools, including but to but not limited to:
- Is highly energetic and thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Is well-organized, has a high attention to detail, and is deadline-oriented
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoys working on cross-functional teams, collaborating with and incorporating feedback from others while also fully owning the fulfillment and impact of individual key results and responsibilities that drive larger team success
- Can pivot effortlessly between short-term and long-term strategic goals
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- Experience modeling and scaling services across a diverse range of school system types
- Certified in scrum frameworks, UX design, lean design, and/or agile
You are someone who shares our values
Be cosmically urgent: I move with cosmic urgency--the vital urge to change things in a way that will benefit all people so everyone feels a sense of “somebodyness.”
Stay constantly curious: I ask “how might we?” when solving challenges.
Pursue excellence over perfection: I prioritize individuals and the interactions that will move people to achieve outcomes over following a process that won’t get them there.
Do hard things in a human way: I choose courage over comfort by facing difficult tasks and conversations rather than avoiding them.
- Invest in our collective success: I get my hands dirty; you will never hear me say, “That’s not my job,” “That’s not my problem to solve,” or “I don’t care.”
What you will receive
Compensation: This is a full-time staff, exempt position with an annual salary range of $90,000 - $115,000. A compensation offer is based on relevant years of experience in relation to the position as well as location. Because of our strong commitment to equity and growth, Lit does not negotiate or place compensation offers at the top of the range.
Benefits: In addition to offering the opportunity to work with a dynamic team of educators, we provide all full-time employees with a competitive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, and parental leave. We offer a generous PTO policy and holiday calendar. We also provide an employer-sponsored 401K retirement plan with an annual 3% match.
Perks: Lit offers perks such as wellness, work-from-home, and professional learning stipends, paid rest days after work-related travel, a community with as much support as your heart desires, and much, much, more!
Location: This role is 100% remote. While our team is distributed across the country, we believe in balancing productive remote work with moments of in-person collaborative work with our partners and colleagues.
Expectations to know
Travel: Travel is an essential part of how we support our partners, collaborate with our team, and fulfill our mission. Schedule and timing for travel may vary by team and role, and may change as the company’s business needs continue to evolve. You should expect to travel up to 40% of the year.
Vaccination Policy: Together Education, our operating partner, requires all staff be fully vaccinated with an FDA or WHO-authorized vaccine (or approved for an exemption as a reasonable accommodation due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief). Together Education abides by each state’s requirements, acknowledging that those may change over time.
Lit is an equal opportunity employer.
If reading this job description gave you butterflies, you should apply!