Sr. Director FP&A, Remote
The right candidate will have expertise in maturing financial processes and promoting financial discipline, a keen appreciation for innovative legal structures, and be driven by an intense desire to make the world more just. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you’ll be the most senior leader of our finance team and one of the key leaders within our organization. In this role, you will understand our overall financial strategy and operating needs, create financial reports to review with cross-functional leaders to help them manage their budgets, refine their estimates, and create scalable KPIs. You will be a key contributor in the implementation of planning and measurement solutions that will help improve our forecasting accuracy, accountability, and transparency. You will also mentor junior finance professionals, helping them level up.
The Movement Cooperative (TMC) is a member-led organization that serves to sustainably provide the best available data, technology, and resources to the progressive community. We know movement organizing and advocacy are more urgent than ever and many organizations and activists cannot easily access the tools to scale their work. TMC exists to expand access to high-impact resources, and to build cooperative progressive power. Our work helps our member organizations make the world better.
Our members consist of large national and emerging regional organizations. Collectively, our members reach over 200 Million people in America in their work.
We leverage the collective purchasing power of our membership to secure cooperatively held data and technology licenses shared across membership and invest in common infrastructure like technical staff to support our members in their work. TMC’s board is elected by and made up of our member organizations.
We seek to create systems in which all members have an equal voice and access to the TMC community, regardless of their resources, perceived technical and strategic sophistication or relationships with traditional progressive power structures.
In this role, you will:
- Play a critical role in implementing and maturing financial processes and promoting financial discipline across the organization.
- Implement and scale new budgeting and reporting processes.
- Manage the continued development of Budgeting, Financial Forecasting, Operating Plan, and Modeling tools
- Monitor performance indicators, emphasizing trends and analyzing variances
- Work with finance team members and external consultants to prepare monthly financial and operational reporting across all departments of the business
- Perform value added ad-hoc analyses that help drive decision making
- Develop financial models and conduct valuation analyses to support strategic initiatives and investments
- Collaborate with external accountants to prepare variance to budget and other deep-dives
- Continuously take on additional responsibility to improve processes and procedures
- Manage two finance professionals
This person will also work within the larger Operations team to provide general member support and contribute to long term projects.
Required Mindsets and Attributes
- Fluent in equity concepts and language, understands their own privilege and power, and is able to bring equity impact analysis to life in the context of their tasks
- Dedicated to progressive issues, campaigns, and organizations
- Proactive, growth-oriented, pragmatic and detail-oriented project management skills
- Creative collaborator within a remote team
- A diligent and conscientious interpersonal savvy; overt willingness to act as cross-functional worker who never sees something as beyond their purview
- Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity and trust
- Cares deeply about getting results, stays attentive to all specific tasks/follow-up items, and consistently meet deadlines
Desired Knowledge, Training, and Experience
- 10+ years of progressive experience in financial planning and analysis
- Expert modeler and teacher of modeling
- Proficient in Financial reporting systems (Hyperion, Tableau or Anaplan knowledge a plus)
- Superb attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and deliver in a fast-paced, quickly changing environment
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge and experience with US GAAP and financial reporting
- Knowledge and experience with IRS non-profit and political regulatory requirements
- Strong sense of ownership and proactivity
- Experience in a multi-subsidiary environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting; MBA and/or CPA strongly preferred
We especially encourage applications from people who have these additional attributes:
- Experience working or volunteering with a Political Campaign
- Experience working or volunteering with an Issue Advocacy Campaign
- Experience working or volunteering with a US non-profit organization
Home Internet Requirements
This position requires you to keep and *maintain a very minimum of 25 mbps download internet while working for TMC. **You also may be required to contact your home internet provider and increase your speed.
*All employees must
**Depending on area and local internet speed
While a very young organization, The Movement Cooperative is dedicated to provide all employees a competitive salary, world-class healthcare, dental and vision benefits, retirement, paid vacation and sick days, flexible holidays, and all-staff holidays, remote virtual office, paid maternity, paternity and adoption family leave, and health and wellness benefits. Salary range is $105,000 to $125,000 commensurate with experience. This is a full-time exempt position.
The Movement Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer.
The Movement Cooperative recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At The Movement Cooperative, we have a clear vision: to be the organization where a diverse mix of talented people want to be, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best to our members, and we know our organization runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
The Movement Cooperative's promotion of diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is more than a commitment at The Movement Cooperative—it is the foundation of why we exist. We are fully focused on equity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, location, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.