Do you want to ensure that progressive organizations have access to the best possible data, technology, and technical expertise? We know movement organizing and advocacy are more urgent than ever and many organizations and activists cannot easily access the tools to scale their work.
Launched in 2018, The Movement Cooperative (TMC) is a nonprofit founded with the aim of creating a cooperative community addressing these structural challenges. Currently, our membership stands at over nearly 50 national member organizations and 500 state-based organizations covered under our licenses. We leverage the collective purchasing power of our membership to secure cooperatively held data and technology licenses shared across membership and invest in common infrastructure like technical staff to support our members in their work. TMC is also a member cooperative -- our board is elected by and made up of our member organizations.
Is it time for you to join us? We are hiring a Data and Technology Strategist to specifically work with our state-coop in Texas. This position would work with a set of members specifically doing work at the state level in Texas.
TMC membership gives organizations full access to our data warehouse and analytics platform and unlimited access to national voter/consumer files. Our role is to provide the technical assistance and expertise that our member organizations need to get started and then ongoing support to achieve their goals and maximize their impact. We help with the establishment of syncs, data pipelines, analytics, and reporting from a continually-expanding suite of organizing and digital tools.
Our team currently stands at eleven team members, and we highly value collaboration and teamwork.
In this role, you will work with the Data & Technology team to:
- Provide technical services and support to our member organizations
- Offer thoughtful and speedy data and technology support to diverse members with varying needs and levels of expertise
- Facilitate conversations on both traditional and more experimental methodologies for turnout, digital organizing, persuasion, and/or advertising
- Use SQL to manipulate, analyze, and support members in understanding and reporting on member programs
- Train members on the strategic use of the voter file and other member data sets
- Work within the larger Data and Technology team to provide general member support and contribute to long term projects.
A successful Data and Technology Strategist will have:
- Dedication to our members and furthering their reach and impact, along with broader progressive issues and campaigns
- Basic SQL skills
- A desire to continuously learn new things
- Experience interacting with and analyzing the voter file, census data and/or another large dataset
- Project management experience, including delegation, managing up and managing expectations for themselves and projects
- Able to communicate and collaborate within a team, other departments, as well as, vendors, partners, etc.
- Comfort communicating via remote work tools like Slack and Zoom
- Passionate about diversity, equity and inclusion and a commitment to incorporating these values into your everyday work
A successful Senior Data and Technology Strategist:
- Has at least 4 years of data experience
- Demonstrated management experience, ideally in direct management of staff
- At least 3 of the listed additional skills below
We especially encourage applications from people who have any of these additional skills:
- Experience working on campaigns, electorally-focused, or advocacy organizations, with at least one full cycle in a data-related role
- Experience with data visualization
- Experience using the Civis Platform
- Moderate or better SQL ability
- Experience with programming languages such as Python or R
- Experience training others on technical tools
- Experience working with APIs, HTTP or data syncs
- Experience with NGP VAN, ActionKit, ActionNetwork or other commonly used progressive tools as a user and/or an administrator
This role does not have formal education requirements.
Please note: We will not begin interviews for this role until January, with an aim to send offers by February, and an early March start date.
While a very young organization, The Movement Cooperative is dedicated to providing all employees a competitive salary, world-class healthcare, dental and vision benefits, retirement, paid vacation and sick days, flexible holidays, and all-staff holidays, remote virtual office, paid parental and adoption family leaves, and health and wellness benefits. The salary band for this position is $60-$80K. This is a full-time exempt position.
The Movement Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer.
The Movement Cooperative recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At The Movement Cooperative, we have a clear vision: to be the organization where a diverse mix of talented people want to be, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best to our members, and we know our organization runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
The Movement Cooperative's promotion of diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is more than a commitment at The Movement Cooperative—it is the foundation of why we exist. We are fully focused on equity and believe deeply in a diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, location, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.