Do you want to ensure that progressive organizations have access to the best possible data, technology, and technical expertise? We know movement organizing and advocacy are more urgent than ever and many organizations and activists cannot easily access the tools to scale their work.
Launched in 2018, The Movement Cooperative (TMC) is a nonprofit founded with the aim of creating a cooperative community addressing these structural challenges. Currently, our membership stands at over nearly 50 national member organizations and 500 state-based organizations covered under our licenses. We leverage the collective purchasing power of our membership to secure cooperatively held data and technology licenses shared across membership and invest in common infrastructure like technical staff to support our members in their work. TMC is also a member cooperative -- our board is elected by and made up of our member organizations.
Looking for something different than the “normal tech job”? Looking for a way to channel your software skills into improving the country’s political landscape? TMC is uniquely positioned in the progressive tech ecosystem to scale engineering innovation as we support many of the most exciting and impactful nationwide advocacy organizations.
As a software engineer at TMC, you will help progressive organizations across the country reach their goals by building tools to improve their use of data and third-party advocacy products. You’ll work closely with our support team to understand organizations’ technical needs and the shortcomings of existing tools, and in turn, you will design and build tools to fill those gaps.
In this role, you will:
- Write code and lead projects across the software stack, with a particular focus on data pipelines.
- Build cloud infrastructure to support our data science and analysis projects.
- Contribute to software architecture discussions and decisions.
- Moderate open-source projects that will benefit the broader progressive tech community.
- Evaluate 3rd-party tools, to help TMC members decide which to use, and to influence the vendors’ product roadmaps.
- Identify technology gaps in the progressive ecosystem, and create tools to fill those gaps.
- Train our Data & Technology Team on software engineering best practices.
- Contribute to long-term planning and strategy discussions for TMC, as technology is central to TMC’s mission.
A successful software engineer at TMC will be:
- Dedicated to progressive values
- Enthusiastic about supporting our members and their programs
- A creative collaborator within a remote team
- Able to communicate ideas, plans, and best practices to less technical audiences
- Excited about evaluating new technologies
- Eager to expand their existing skill set
We especially encourage applications from people who have:
- Fluency with multiple programming languages, particularly Python
- Fluency with SQL and database technologies
- Experience working on multi-person software projects, in an agile-like development environment
- Experience writing software to run in the cloud
Bonus points for:
- Experience building and maintaining cloud infrastructure
- Experience developing and implementing security best practices
- Exposure to “political data” through working with a political campaign, advocacy organization, or political tech vendor.
This role does not have formal education requirements.
While a very young organization, The Movement Cooperative is dedicated to providing all employees with world-class healthcare, dental and vision benefits, retirement, paid vacation and sick days, flexible holidays, and all-staff holidays, remote virtual office, paid parental and adoption family leave, and health and wellness benefits. The salary is ranging between $75,000 and $95,000, depending on experience and/or expertise. This is a full-time exempt position.
The Movement Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer.
The Movement Cooperative recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At The Movement Cooperative, we have a clear vision: to be the organization where a diverse mix of talented people want to be, to stay and do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing the best to our members, and we know our organization runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
The Movement Cooperative's promotion of diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is more than a commitment at The Movement Cooperative—it is the foundation of why we exist. We are fully focused on equity and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, location, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.