- Remote first, with a small office in London you can use if that works for you
- Up to £75k depending on experience, plus stock options
- Modern stack - microservices backend, Next.js and React Native apps, Typescript throughout, hosted on GCP
- VC backed startup with impressive growth (300% YoY) and strong mission to reinvigorate early childhood education in the UK
We’re building a platform that enables people to open and run their own home-based childcare businesses, allowing passionate early years educators to focus more energy on the children, enjoy doing what they love, and spend less time on the complex business admin and compliance that comes with the job.
We launched in early 2020, have raised over £8m in seed funding from top European investors. We're at an exciting stage of growth — we have over 350 registered childcare providers in England; we're processing over £6M per annum of childcare payments through our platform, and we’re growing 15% month on month. We believe we have a truly sustainable business model with real revenues and a clear path to profitability.
We have global ambitions and believe that the key to our success will be exceptional technical and product execution. Our vision is to make the entire customer experience of choosing and buying childcare, and managing a childcare business, to be as seamless, joyful and safe as modern digital consumers have come to expect.
Childcare is a famously hard sector to crack, but at tiney we believe our unique team, business model and regulatory/market conditions make us the ideal candidates to have an unprecedented impact. Now's an amazing time to join us on this journey.
We’re looking for a Full-Stack Software Engineer to join our tight-knit team and work on key features and services to support our growing base of childcare providers and parent users.
You’ll be a member of the Engineering team and will be involved in helping us set the direction of the team from a technical standpoint.
You’ll be comfortable working across front-end and back-end, but will probably lean toward the back end in your experience and expertise.
Our stack is primarily built around Typescript, but we don’t necessarily need experience in this, so long as you can bring an experience to the table that will help us move our architecture forward.
How we work
- We're a tight-knit product team that works together to learn, solve problems, and ship great tools for our users
- We work collaboratively across the company, staying close to other members of the team to understand their needs
- We work in short, focussed cycles taking a project through from design and prototype, to the final build. We'll regularly organise retrospectives to understand whether we built the right thing and keep iterating.
- Our tech stack covers React, React Native and NodeJS, all written in TypeScript and deployed serverlessly on GCP. We care about building reliable, scalable systems that we can take pride in and allow us to keep moving quickly.
- We believe in the power of great data, and use Dataform, BigQuery and Looker to provide timely insights to the business.
- We've built separate native and web component libraries with cross platform shared types, networking and state, unblocking engineers across the team to deliver end-to-end features independently.
- We're remote first, centred around London where we have a small office. Most of the Product and Engineering team are based out of London, but we meet there occasionally (once every 1-3 months) for project kick offs and company offsites.
- We're looking for people who are product engineers who love to develop a deep understanding of the user you're building for. We think empathy and ability to listen are key skills for building a brilliant product.
- You should have several years experience shipping products, honing your craft and be ready to hit the ground running. Previous experience in a start-up or fast moving agency would be perfect. Equally, we understand that this is a difficult world to break into and we'll review any application on merit.
- For this particular role, there will be bonus points for anyone who brings experience building and managing CI pipelines, and/or working with cloud providers to tune, debug and scale our cloud operations.
- You don't need previous experience with our tech stack, and we value different expertise and backgrounds. But we would love to hear about how you design and plan systems, plus how you ensure they're reliable and scalable once built.
- Appreciation for our mission and the work we do is important. We're from a variety of different industrial backgrounds (most of us don't come from the education sector), but all of us love to see the impact our work has on children's lives.
Logistics & Benefits
- We're a remote-first company, but we occasionally have in-person meetings in our London office - so being able to travel from time-to-time is important.
- Up to £75k base (based on your experience and capability) with EMI stock options so that you own part of tiney.
- The right kit for the job, including the latest MacBook Pro, second monitor, mouse/keyboard and budget towards a chair and desk.
- 28 days holiday, Life Insurance, Mental Health support, monthly socials and much more!
- 30 minutes initial call with our Talent Manager - this will be a general interview covering your CV and experience
- 90 minute remote technical interview with two engineers and the CTO, including a system design challenge that we'll send to you in advance to think about, and plenty of time to ask lots of questions about the role and team
- 30 mins informal interview/coffee with another one of our engineers or a Product Manager
💜 Our commitment to diversity
A child who wants to learn doesn't care about gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, or any of the other things that sometimes divide, and neither do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes us stronger and gives us all a better chance of unlocking the potential of every child.
We have a wonderful internal Diversity and Inclusion Advisor, Taz, who's our critical friend - she's making sure we're creating the most inclusive and fair recruitment process. We're aware that some candidates (especially people from minority backgrounds) tend to only apply for jobs if they feel they meet all or more of the criteria - but we want to give an equal opportunity to everyone, so even if you don't meet everything on this list but think you'd be a good fit for the role, please do apply.