Timescale is looking for an experienced Director of Product Marketing to lead our Product Marketing team and take our category-defining time-series database and other new products to market. A Product Marketing Manager defines the story behind a product, helping us crisply define the audience for our product, craft the proper positioning and messaging for the product to meet the audience’s needs, and drive the launch and continued success of the product in-market. The Director of Product Marketing will lead a team of Product Marketing Managers.
Product Marketing is a highly cross-functional role at Timescale, partnering across Engineering, Product Management, Sales, and the rest of the marketing team. Product Marketing works across the entire product lifecycle, helping shape the scope and features of the product, driving launch and go-to-market strategy/execution, and working with our Growth and Developer Advocacy teams to grow adoption post-launch.
At Timescale, Product Marketing is also a highly technical function. Product Marketing Managers routinely build, write, and record demos, assist Developer Advocacy in defining the content and documentation roadmap, and assist Growth in defining messaging and content for campaigns that will resonate with a developer audience.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an early-stage company with a clear set of products on the horizon. We need you to help us talk about it the right way, land it with developers, and iterate on future versions. If you have experience launching developer products at a startup and want to take the next step in your career, this is the role for you.
This role is remote, and English language fluency is a requirement.
- Build a high-performing Product Marketing team and grow and nurture their careers.
- Understand broad industry and market trends, usage and buying behavior, and meta developer trends in order to identify key new market opportunities for Timescale.
- Provide input and strategy into product roadmap, strategy, and pricing based on market and customer research finding, industry analyst interactions, and competitive findings.
- Be the master storyteller for all our current and future products. Form a cohesive narrative out of multiple Timescale products and services each aimed at various segments of the developer population.
- Develop and activate all core positioning and messaging for Timescale.
- Lead Timescale’s analyst relations strategy and be the top-gun spokesperson for Timescale with key analyst firms.
- Regularly and proactively synthesize and share information about our market, customers, and product assets and liabilities to the broader company.
Experience and Skills:
- 8+ years of Product Marketing expertise, with 6+ years of managing Product Marketing Managers.
- A gifted storyteller who combines deep empathy for developers with extensive industry knowledge to weave together the many disparate features and products we offer into a cohesive narrative.
- A roll-up-your-sleeves attitude to do the heavy lifting required to build a great Product Marketing discipline at Timescale.
- Previous experience as a Product Marketing leader in a startup environment, preferably working with developers and/or databases.
- A proven track record of identifying great Product Marketing talent, growing future Product Marketing leaders, and improving the discipline of Product Marketing industry-wide.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation creation and delivery skills.
- Excellent cross-organizational collaboration skills. You can work across the team, across roles, and synthesize viewpoints and reach consensus.
- A self-starter that can manage and prioritize initiatives that will make developers successful.
- A passion for developers and nerd culture.
- A belief that organizations and industries are best when they are diverse and inclusive, and a commitment to ensuring that everything we do reflects that belief.
- Works well independently and remotely.
At Timescale, we are dedicated to serving developers worldwide, enabling them to build exceptional data-driven products that measure everything that matters: software applications, industrial equipment, financial markets, blockchain activity, consumer behavior, machine learning models, climate change, and more. Analyzing this data across the time dimension (“time-series data”) enables developers to understand what is happening right now, how that is changing, and why that is changing. Timescale develops TimescaleDB, the category-defining open-source relational database for time-series data, and offers fully-managed TimescaleDB and related database services. Timescale is a remote-first company with a global workforce and is backed by Benchmark Capital, New Enterprise Associates, Redpoint Ventures, Icon Ventures, Two Sigma Ventures, and other leading investors.