What we are looking for
We are building the next great database company, serving developers worldwide. Timescale is looking for a VP Finance to build and lead the fully remote finance team. You will report to the CEO and be responsible for evolving the department and prioritizing its responsibilities to align with company goals.
As a member of the executive team, the VP Finance is responsible for developing and implementing our financial strategy and operations. You will work closely with the leadership team and the board to determine financial roadmap, operational efficiency, and future funding rounds. In this position, you have the exciting opportunity to build corporate finance, including financial planning and analysis, accounting, tax audit, purchasing, and reporting.
The ideal candidate will be hands-on, but experienced building, operating, and scaling a remote finance team in a high-growth environment. You will have strong analytical and communication skills and experience working cross-organizationally to plan, budget, and deliver outcomes that meet the business needs. We are building a diverse and inclusive distributed company that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, skills, and locations. Successful candidates will embrace the diversity of our team and be excited about our commitment to inclusion.
- Proven success in a strategic and operational finance role ideally in a remote, highly distributed global startup.
- Experience analyzing business data, synthesizing the information and preparing financial reports, budgets, statements and projections.
- Operational leadership with budgeting, financial forecasting, headcount planning, and modeling tools. Initially this will require an implementation of a new FP&A/Budgeting tool and processes.
- Leadership and growth of a diverse finance team including hiring, coaching and creating a highly engaged distributed team
- Experience with venture financing events: development and presentation of the financials and key metrics.
- Knows the right questions to plan and meet the challenges ahead and rolls up their sleeves and get things done.
- Innovative thinker about solutions that are tailored to our situation, versus applying a “one size fits all” approach.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion, with specific strategies for improving representation.
- New FP&A processes and protocols relevant to the challenges of a global remote-first company (time zone differences, cultural differences, inability to spend much time in-person, hard to spend time informally with each other, etc).
- Financial processes happen smoothly and compliant to local regulations (e.g., financial aspects of operating in different countries).
- Effective strategic and financial planning that scales the company including budgeting, forecasting, headcount planning, and measurements.
- Finance team that partners with departments across the business to create operational budgets, identify key performance indicators (KPIs), allocate resources, and establish infrastructure for reporting financial performance both internally and externally.
- Clear plan of how to optimize investments and expenses through strategic and analytical evaluation of current spend, identification of improvements and efficiencies and execution of activities to improve return on investment.
- Daily operations in Finance and Accounting functions are documented and recorded in accordance with the financial policies and procedures to GAAP standards (e.g. cash flow requirements, balance sheet, and income statement)
At Timescale, we are dedicated to serving developers worldwide, enabling them to build exceptional data-driven products that measure everything that matters: software applications, industrial equipment, financial markets, blockchain activity, consumer behavior, machine learning models, climate change, and more. Analyzing this data across the time dimension (“time-series data”) enables developers to understand what is happening right now, how that is changing, and why that is changing. Timescale develops TimescaleDB, the category-defining open-source relational database for time-series data, and offers fully-managed TimescaleDB and related database services. Timescale is a remote-first company with a global workforce and is backed by Benchmark Capital, New Enterprise Associates, Redpoint Ventures, Icon Ventures, Two Sigma Ventures, and other leading investors.