Time Inc. (NYSE:TIME) is a leading multi-platform consumer media company that engages over 230 million consumers globally every month. The company's influential brands include PEOPLE, TIME, FORTUNE, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, INSTYLE, REAL SIMPLE, SOUTHERN LIVING and TRAVEL + LEISURE, as well as approximately 60 diverse international brands. Time Inc. offers marketers a differentiated proposition in the marketplace by combining its powerful brands, trusted content, audience scale, direct relationships with consumers and unique first-party data. The company is home to growing media and platforms, including digital video, OTT, television, licensing, paid products and services and celebrated live events, such as the TIME 100, FORTUNE Most Powerful Women, PEOPLE’s Sexiest Man Alive, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED’s Sportsperson of the Year, the ESSENCE Festival and the FOOD & WINE Classic in Aspen.
The Desktop Engineer will be responsible for deploying, maintaining and troubleshooting various desktop enterprise technologies on a global scale supporting over 10,000 Apple and Windows computers in both physical and virtual environments.
These technologies include software and security tools to support and secure the desktop infrastructure such as antivirus, encryption, endpoint management, OS & application upgrades and rollouts including software packaging & patching. The Desktop Engineer will implement, monitor and comply with our desktop standards to ensure consistency with overall Time Inc. standards, policies, and best practices. They will work closely with US and UK Desktop Engineers while performing efficiently, securely, and in a manner consistent with company goals.
- Third Level Desktop Support: Must have the ability to troubleshoot complex OS and application issues (Windows 7/10 & macOS) that are not normally solved by level one or level two desktop support personnel. Issues can range from network related (DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP, wireless), patching problems, encryption recoveries, application crashes, to driver & software incompatibilities and hardware problems. These problem cases may be assigned via other engineers, support personnel, common queues, customer calls, email or our ServiceNow ticketing system. Ultimately all issues should be tracked via ServiceNow. Part of the Third Level support responsibilities will be to monitor and update the ServiceNow Desktop Engineering queue. This will entail receiving, investigating, troubleshooting, updating and ultimately resolving or routing the ServiceNow requests according to stated SLA’s. This can entail working directly with other Global Technology Services groups or application owners to resolve the issue or complete the task that has been assigned. Will need the ability to work fast and independently when assigned a troubleshooting task, whether one machine or a group of machines are affected. Must communicate clearly each stage of the process to completion.
- Application Package Creation: The Desktop Engineer should be proficient in modern methods and techniques to bundle Windows and Apple application packages for use in mass distribution. Working knowledge is required of BAT/CMD commands, Unix shell scripting, VBScript, PowerShell. Should be familiar with toolsets such as InstallShield, Casper Composer, Iceberg, Innosetup, MSI, PKG, as examples. Should understand CLI and command-line switches to control the needed behavior of the application install. Candidate should be familiar with testing procedures using virtual machines, patch tester groups and follow protocol for production system release. Ultimately packages will be used for but not limited to rollouts, upgrades, Software on Demand (customer self-service) and in response to InfoSec related alerts.
- Application Package Deployment: Working knowledge of endpoint management system to help deploy packaged applications via LanRev, LanDesk (Ivanti), JAMF Casper, SCCM, etc. Willingness and ability to use multiple endpoint management platforms. Regularly distribute applications upgrades, packages, patches and OS Updates via our endpoint management systems according to regular bimonthly patch schedule or out-of-band release when necessary. Candidate needs the discipline to follow specific policy and procedure to research & customize updates for Time Inc. use, upload them to our endpoint management systems, develop, test, patch test and then ultimately be responsible for updating the entire production Mac and PC estates. We will continually expand our offerings of applications that will need packaging and patching according to approved software lists. Updates may include plugins, registry changes, settings and configuration changes as well.
- Monitor, Notification and Report Generation: One of the key elements to successful package creation and deployment is the constant monitoring of the environment for issues, adoption rate, and non-compliancy. Ultimately candidate will follow process and procedures to monitor and make sure each rollout or upgrade is completed to pre-determined levels of success. Must generate reports on progress and communicate clearly, in a timely fashion the results of the monitored items.
- Security: Work indirectly or directly with the Information Security group (GIS) to ensure that all applications meet Time Inc. security guidelines for required patches, rollouts and upgrades.
- Documentation/KBs: Help document procedures and develop KB articles for use by the Tech community, helpdesk, support techs, and customers. Etc.
- Maintain Desktop Technologies: The various desktop technologies & tools needs constant maintenance for successful optimum functionality. The candidate will be asked to helped monitor areas of the various tools and to perform needed maintenance as necessary. Such examples included pruning superseded patches, monitoring license counts and delete outdated records, test and reanalyze firewall rules, maintain system upgrades, etc.
- Software License Tracking: Help monitor and track software and software licenses. This will also include notification and report generation.
- Hardware Asset Management: Help monitor and track hardware assets and the desktop management tool compliancy (such as antivirus definitions, version control, etc.).
- An in-depth, enterprise level understanding of desktop OS's including Windows 7 & 10 and macOS and how it relates to networking, security and servers in an Active Directory environment.
- Three to five years’ experience supporting desktop technology in a corporate setting.
Key Behavioral Requirements:
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and ability to be resourceful in a high-pressure, time sensitive situation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to learn and follow direction from senior staff members.
- Ability to work effectively with other technology groups, as well as non-IT groups.
- Responsible and detail orientated.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Working Knowledge of supporting Chromebooks in an enterprise environment a plus.
- Project level knowledge of Microsoft BitLocker desirable.
Education / Qualification Expected:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related expertise.