Time Inc. (NYSE:TIME) is a leading multi-platform consumer media company that engages over 170 million consumers globally every month. The company's influential brands include PEOPLE, TIME, FORTUNE, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, INSTYLE, REAL SIMPLE, SOUTHERN LIVING and TRAVEL + LEISURE, as well as approximately 60 diverse international brands. Time Inc. offers marketers a differentiated proposition in the marketplace by combining its powerful brands, trusted content, audience scale, direct relationships with consumers and unique first-party data. The company is home to growing media and platforms, including digital video, OTT, television, licensing, paid products and services and celebrated live events, such as the TIME 100, FORTUNE Most Powerful Women, PEOPLE’s Sexiest Man Alive, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED’s Sportsperson of the Year, the ESSENCE Festival and the FOOD & WINE Classic in Aspen.
Responsibilities:The SVP – Chief Data Officer role, a new position within Time Inc, offers a unique opportunity to lead data and information strategy at the world’s leading content company as it reinvents itself for the future of digital content, advertising and customer engagement. The SVP – Chief Data Officer will be responsible for the governance of all Time Inc. data, the infrastructure to unify and democratize its use, and be a strategic partner to the Time Inc. business units who are customers of this central team. This senior leadership role will be responsible for developing and owning a data roadmap and subsequently leading the Time Inc. data sourcing, management, deployment and innovation strategy, working in close partnership with key revenue-driving organizations and the technology team.
Time Inc. has a unique place in the market with 30M active paid subscribers and ~130M monthly US Comscore UVs, generating real-time behavioral and intent data. The Chief Data Officer will lead a team that leverages data as a core asset and growth driver, creating a best-in-class organization and capability that will drive quantifiable outcomes, enable identification of new product opportunities and deliver unique data partnerships that fuel creativity. The successful candidate will deploy the right mix of ‘buy, build, partner’ strategies to move swiftly down the path to the point of arrival.
Reporting into the SVP – Chief Data Officer will be members of existing teams along with resources to be hired to fill out the team:
- Data governance, compliance and privacy
- Data architect
- Data engineering
- Data operations
- Central data vendor relationships
- Data partnership strategies to bolster central data quality
In addition, he/she will be the champion and owner of Time Inc.’s world class consumer database alongside Consumer Marketing + Revenue, Ad Sales, Research & Insights and Product Engineering. This expectation includes creating micro-services that enable customers to access and utilize the data in their own environments, in areas including customer segmentation and targeting; consumer and advertiser CRM advancement; data-driven ad product targeting and sales; analytics to empower editorial and audience development; experience personalization; new product development, and data integration across channels and platforms.
Additional key areas include:
- Evangelizing and communicating a data vision for the enterprise as a critical part of Time Inc.’s growth strategy
- Creating strategic data access policies for internal and external constituents
- Developing and executing a central data strategy to drive revenue plans
- Driving Data Governance for the enterprise
- Overseeing all central data investment and partnership business cases and decisions
- Regularly interfacing with C-level clients and internal/external senior executives
- Ensuring a global approach to data as a strategic asset across Time Inc. businesses around the world
This person is a highly motivated, experienced data innovator who can cite tangible results from his/her strategies and leadership actions. He/she should have current experience in large growth organizations where data is a core capability for driving outcomes (e.g., ecommerce, consumer paid service, B2B services, health publishing).
- A minimum of 7+ years of prior senior level leadership experience in a company known for data innovation and excellence with responsibility for a comparably- sized analytics business
- A passion for and experience with big data-driven decision making processes across business functions
- Demonstrated ability to lead a technical team of product and data engineers, as well as data scientists/PhDs
- Experience creating value for anonymous, offline and known customer data as well as external third party data sources
- Experience with implementing and leveraging cutting edge analytic tools and capabilities, including B2B, B2C and cross-channel integration tools
- Experience leading a global organization with a material footprint in Time Inc. India
- Experience overseeing and directing the work of data specialists, including data scientists, analysts, data developers and operations staff. Previous experience in one or more of these roles a plus
- Solid relationship building skills at the C-level within a matrixed environment with an ability to quickly develop rapport, win confidence and drive cross-functional alignment
- Proven track record of successfully driving top and bottom line results individually and as part of a high-performance team
- An inclusive, hands-on leadership style with proven experience leading, motivating, developing and inspiring a team of analytics professionals
- Outstanding oral/written communication and presentation skills, especially with respect to clearly communicating complex data-driven topics
A Bachelors’ degree from a globally recognized institution of higher learning is required, with an advanced degree (MS, PhD, equivalent) strongly preferred.