Time Inc. (NYSE:TIME) is a leading content company that engages over 150 million consumers every month through our portfolio of premium brands across platforms. By combining our distinctive content with our proprietary data and people-based targeting, we offer highly differentiated end-to-end solutions to marketers across the multimedia landscape. Our influential brands include People, Time, Fortune, Sports Illustrated, InStyle, Real Simple and Southern Living, as well as more than 50 diverse titles in the United Kingdom. Time Inc. has been extending the power of our brands through various acquisitions and investments, including Viant, an advertising technology firm with a specialized people-based marketing platform; The Foundry, Time Inc.’s creative lab and content studio; and the People Entertainment Weekly Network (PEN). The company is also home to celebrated events, such as the Time 100, Fortune Most Powerful Women, People’s Sexiest Man Alive, Sports Illustrated’s Sportsperson of the Year, the Essence Festival and the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen.
The Manager, Systems Engineering is responsible for server and systems design. This is a core engineering role, which entails collaboration with engineers in other disciplines and on which many of their latest efforts are based. You will lead complex infrastructure projects, but in keeping with our ecumenical philosophy regarding operations and engineering, you will also lead by example by performing tasks and maintaining best practices at all levels. You will work closely with Project Management Professionals to document infrastructure, designs, standards, and best practices.
- Interacting with stakeholders for requirements analysis
- Deploying infrastructures made up of complex systems and services
- Evaluating new technologies
- Executing proofs of concept
- Establishing and documenting technical standards and best practices
- Analyzing costs and benefits
- Benchmarking, monitoring, and ensuring performance
- Capacity-planning and sizing
- Providing Tier 3 support: low-level and systemic troubleshooting and debugging of single and distributed systems
- On-call shifts, business and off hours
- Maintenance off-hours when necessary
- 10+ years in a 24/7 enterprise computing environment
- Operating Systems: Solaris (10, 11), Linux (RedHat 5, 6, 7), Microsoft Windows (Server 2008 and 2012 r2)
- Expert understanding of the OSI Model and the TCP/IP (Internet) protocol suite
- Languages: ksh, Perl, Ruby or Python, XML and markup, C or C++ or Java, awk or sed, regular expressions
- SPARC: Sun SS 10/20, U2, U10, Netra T1 and 1405, E500, v120, v240, v440, v480, T2000, M000
- x86: HP DL380, DL580; Dell R720, R920; PCs, including Mac
- Open Source: Apache, Tomcat, Samba, ISC BIND (8,9) and DHCP, RCS or CVS or Git, OpenSSL, GNU utilities, OpenLDAP, Nagios
- Commercial: Java JRE/JDK, Veritas Foundation Suite (Volume Manager and File System), Active Directory
- System Tools: truss, dtrace, strace, sar, pmap and "proc tools", packet sniffers, PowerShell and WMIC
- Hardware: Hitachi Data Systems AMS, HUS, USP, VSP, G Series; NetApp or Isilon
- File Systems: StorNext, WAFL, ZFS, VxFS or advanced volume management in Linux
- Concepts: HSM, DFS, object vs traditional storage / file systems
- Protocols: TCP, UDP, IP, ICMP, telnet, NFS, CIFS and SMB, HTTP, LDAP, NTP, DNS, DHCP, SMTP, FTP, SNMP
- Networking: TCP, UDP, IP (versions 4 and 6), BGP or OSPF, IPsec
- "Cloud" and Virtualization
- AWS: EC2, EBS, S3, ELB, CloudFormation
- VMware: vSphere and ESXi, VMFS, vCenter
- Backup and Archive: Tape libraries, VTL, replication, LTO, LTFS, Digital Asset Management
- Monitoring and Logging:
- Element management, Nagios with plug-ins, MRTG, high-level measurement and reporting
- LogStash or Splunk, syslog or syslog-ng
- Security: Risk assessment, OS-hardening, tools such as Qualys, nmap, and Tripwire, application gateways, proxies, two-factor authentication, familiarity with OpenBSD
- Collaborative: You have a flexible, open approach to work. You thrive building clear efficiencies in unstructured environments. You approach your career like a journey, taking on big challenges with zero ego – and crushing it. You’re energized by working in the start-up atmosphere of the new Time Inc. International, a dynamic new digitally-led company-within-a-company.
- Proven: Yes, you love to roll up your sleeves and work in a new, uncertain environment. That said, you’re not unfamiliar with working in or with large organizations, leading projects to completion with your strong analytics and financial modeling skills. You have an MBA from a top business school, a familiarity and deep enthusiasm for the media industry and an English and Chinese-language fluency.
- Communicative: Peers, bosses and direct reports flock to you for your dynamism and clarity. Your crystal clear approach to communication is immediately recognized, whether you’re delivering a presentation to shape the strategic direction of an investment, hosting a meeting or sending a simple email.