Meredith Corporation (NYSE:MDP) (www.meredith.com) has been committed to service journalism for 115 years. Today, Meredith uses multiple distribution platforms — including broadcast television, print, digital, mobile and video — to provide consumers with content they desire and to deliver the messages of its advertising and marketing partners.
Meredith's National Media Group reaches more than 175 million unduplicated American consumers every month, including over 80 percent of U.S. millennial women. Meredith is a leader in creating content across media platforms and life stages in key consumer interest areas such as entertainment, food, lifestyle, parenting and home. Meredith is the No. 1 magazine operator in the U.S., and owner of the largest premium content digital network for American consumers. Meredith’s leading national brands include PEOPLE, Better Homes & Gardens, InStyle, Allrecipes, REAL SIMPLE, Southern Living and Martha Stewart Living. Meredith also features robust brand licensing activities including more than 3,000 SKUs of branded products at 4,000 Walmart stores across the U.S. and at walmart.com. Meredith’s National Media Group also includes leading affinity marketer Synapse, and The Foundry, the company's state-of-the-art creative lab and content studio.
Software Engineer II
Global Technology Services
Meredith Digital – Big Data
Meredith has an exciting opportunity for talented software engineers to join the Big Data Team which is currently building and enhancing the Customer 360 Data Platform. This platform powered by user data provides a range of features including user segment creation, user segment targeting, report creations, etc. You will work closely with stakeholders in business and product development to understand requirements, build prototypes, and deliver world-class features.
The applicant needs to be a highly motivated, self-directed, enthusiastic person with a sharp mind who works well under pressure and thrives in an atmosphere of rapid and iterative design and development. The individual must be comfortable working collaboratively with stakeholders and have a strong desire and ability to deliver innovative solutions to complex problems. As the technological landscape is ever changing, the applicant must be self-motivated to learn new technologies and imparting the gathered knowledge among the team members.
- Build maintainable, reusable and reliable services.
- Participate in code reviews, brainstorming sessions and an Agile daily and weekly routine.
- Build assertion tests and custom processes as part of our continuous integration release/deployment process.
- Own production services, investigate and resolve issues, bottlenecks, and inefficiencies.
- Provide thorough and clear documentation for all services including screenshots and screencasts.
- Collaborate closely with other engineers, designers, and other stake holders to define innovative ways to improve services and reduce costs.
- Participate in technical mentorship with engineers on the team by performing thorough code reviews, pairing, and ad hoc reviews of proposed solutions.
- Work with other teams across the organization to share and establish best practices.
- Passionate about code quality and lead by example to produce high quality, complex services and applications under tight timelines.
- Ready to take critical comments and grow with the team.
Successful candidates will take initiative and ownership of their tasks. They will possess many of the following qualifications.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent industry experience.
- 3+ years experience in engineering complex Core Java applications.
- Experience with AWS or other cloud providers.
- Experience with Big data technologies like Spark, Hadoop, Kafka etc.
- Experience with object-oriented design and data modeling.
- Strong background building on REST/JSON model.
- Solid experience working with source/version control systems such as Git and SVN.
- Understanding and experience working with the Gitflow model and Github.com Pull Requests.
- Strong communication, time management and analytical/problem-solving skills.
- Ability to translate user stories into technical tasks.
- Ability to estimate effort effectively.