ABOUT MEREDITH CORPORATION
Meredith Corporation (NYSE:MDP) (www.meredith.com) has been committed to service journalism for 115 years. Today, Meredith uses multiple distribution platforms — including broadcast television, print, digital, mobile and video — to provide consumers with content they desire and to deliver the messages of its advertising and marketing partners.
Meredith's National Media Group reaches nearly 175 million unduplicated American consumers every month, including 80 percent of U.S. millennial women. Meredith is a leader in creating content across media platforms and life stages in key consumer interest areas, such as celebrity, food, lifestyle, home, parenting, beauty and fashion. Meredith also features robust brand licensing activities, including more than 3,000 SKUs of branded products at 4,000 Walmart stores across the U.S., and The Foundry, the company's state-of-the-art creative lab and content studio. Meredith's Local Media Group includes 17 television stations reaching more than 11 percent of U.S. households.
A Junior Editor position at FanSided will assist in a spectrum of needs for our content strategy. The site covers a broad range of topics including entertainment, pop-culture, and sports. The ideal candidate will have at least two years experience working in online publishing and will be comfortable working with a staff of fellow junior and senior editors, a Managing Editor and an Editor in Chief. You will also be asked to work with a large staff of independent contractors. You will work at FanSided’s editorial headquarters in Chicago, Illinois.
- Be asked to write and edit stories and develop ideas and strategy. In addition, you will be asked to develop contacts and sources throughout the media, entertainment and sports worlds in which you work.
- Be responsible for helping contractors refine and focus their ideas before submission. After submission, you will be responsible to make sure their copy is clean, concise and in keeping with the standards of FanSided.com.
- Be able to identify storylines as they develop in real time and have the ability to react knowledgeably to these events. For instance, when Kevin Durant hits a ridiculous three and high fives Drake courtside, you should be able to understand the social significance of it. Likewise, the ability to identify viral trends and stories is critical, such as when Kawhi Leonard signed his shoe deal with New Balance.
- Have a good grasp on identifying social media trends, as well as posting on social media in an engaging manner.
- Be expected to contribute to the ideas, strategies and content brought by other editors and the Editor in Chief. The scope of your influence will not be limited to only the editing team, although you will only answer to the Editor in Chief.
- Be asked to conduct yourself in an ethical and professional journalistic manner when interacting with people both within the FanSided staff and in the public.
- Be asked to create content along multiple platforms and formats, ranging from traditional text and image to video, podcasting and any other form of media.
- Passionate: You give it your all. You are dedicated to your work and love what you do. You’re ready to be on Team FanSided. You’re energized by working in the start-up atmosphere of FanSided.
- Collaborative: You have a flexible, open approach to work. You thrive building clear efficiencies in unstructured environments. You approach your career like a journey, taking on big challenges with zero ego.
- A leader: You’re an influencer, an excellent communicator and a team-player. Your colleagues and superiors alike look up to you.
- Objective: You’re a balanced, critical thinker. You know how to take on tough questions, letting the facts guide you to the best solutions, unhampered by your own biases or preconceptions. You’re at your best when acting as the voice of reason, fairly arbitrating difficult situations.
- Verbal: You’ve never got a problem voicing your opinion and know when to speak up, making sure your ideas are heard. Highly communicative, you know how to facilitate a conversation and always contribute to whatever meeting you’re in.
- An innovator: An entrepreneurial spirit and an agent of change, you do not follow the cookie cutter format. You constantly look for opportunities to progress the business in creative ways