About Meredith Corporation:
Meredith Corporation (NYSE: MDP; meredith.com) has been committed to service journalism for 115 years. Today, Meredith uses multiple distribution platforms — including broadcast television, print, digital, mobile and video — to provide consumers with content they desire and to deliver the messages of its advertising and marketing partners.
Meredith's National Media Group reaches nearly 200 million unduplicated American consumers every month, including 85 percent of U.S. Millennial women. Meredith is a leader in creating content across media platforms and life stages in key consumer interest areas such as celebrity, food, lifestyle, home, parenting, beauty, fashion, news and sports. Meredith also features robust brand licensing activities including more than 3,000 SKUs of branded products at 5,000 Walmart stores across the U.S. and at walmart.com., as well as innovative business-to-business marketing solutions provided by Meredith Xcelerated Marketing.
Meredith's Local Media Group includes 17 television stations reaching more than 11 percent of U.S. households. Meredith's portfolio is concentrated in large, fast-growing markets, with seven stations in the nation's Top 25 and 13 in Top 50 markets. Meredith's stations produce 700 hours of local news and entertainment content each week, and operate leading local digital destinations.
FanSided is one of the fastest growing network of fandom-focused sports, entertainment and lifestyle sites on the internet. Launched by two brothers who wanted to put their own spin on the coverage of their beloved Kansas City Chiefs, FanSided grew to be a thriving collection of more than 300 communities dedicated to bringing together fans to share their common passions. In May of 2015, the company was acquired by Time Inc. In November of 2018, Time Inc. was acquired by Meredith Corp.
FanSided believes everyone is a fan of something. That is why we’ve collected the most passionate, knowledgeable and dedicated editorial voices to lead our sites. Our thought-leading content creators belong to the fandoms they cover, giving our sites the best team-specific, sport-specific, genre-specific, and fanbase-specific coverage possible. The results speak for themselves. FanSided has exploded in popularity in an era where people are using technology to connect, making it easy for fans to digest the content they want, when they want it across all of their favorite verticals. And we’re just getting started.
We are looking for someone to take the lead on our college sports coverage on FanSided.com as both a writer and editor, with a particular emphasis on football and men’s and women’s basketball. You will work with our team of section editors to manage the site’s editorial workflow including live coverage, event coverage, features, freelance pitches and more. Thus, while each editor has a focus, we are looking for someone versatile enough to also help manage other sections of the site when necessary. The site covers a broad range of topics including professional sports, college sports, television, movies and music from the fan point of view. The ideal candidate will have at least five years experience working in online publishing and will be comfortable managing a large staff of independent contractors. Editors should be comfortable working as part of a team and adept at brainstorming and tackling projects. Experience finding topics to write about while creating a unique narrative is a plus. You should be comfortable appearing on camera as a fan analyst and may be expected to work with our growing video team on other projects including the development of evergreen and documentary style video. The world of sports never sleeps and neither will you. Just kidding, but you should be prepared to work nights as weekends as the sports calendar dictates. You will work at FanSided’s editorial headquarters in Chicago, Illinois.
- Manage the editorial workflow on FanSided.com including editing, writing, social media, content strategy, and SEO.
- Be a strong voice in FanSided’s editorial brain trust, helping to develop great pieces of content.
- Help implement and develop FanSided’s voice and tone.
- Work with FanSided’s video team to tell awesome stories and enhance written content.
- Help manage social media channels like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to increase our college sports audience.
- Cover live sports and entertainment events in real time, including crafting content before, during and after.
- Coverage could require night, weekend and holiday shifts.
- Develop and execute branded content, advertorials and tent pole content events.
- An editor’s editor: You have impeccable editorial judgment. At the same time, you’re not hands-off. You’re prepared to write and edit daily stories, conceive of larger packages, and collaborate with ad-sales teams to ensure fulfillment on sold editorial campaigns.
- Collaborative: You have a flexible, open approach to work. You thrive building clear efficiencies in unstructured environments. You approach your career like a journey, taking on big challenges with zero ego – and crushing it. You’re energized by working in the start-up atmosphere of the new Time Inc. International, a dynamic new digitally-led company-within-a-company.
- Fast, not loose: You move a million miles a minute – not because your boss told you to – but because you don’t know how to work any other way. You’re prepared to juggle multiple responsibilities, deadlines and personalities in a fast-paced environment focused on quality, adapting swiftly to a changing landscape.
- A leader: You’re an influencer, an excellent communicator and a team-player. Your colleagues look up to you, and for good reason. You take the freedom to develop business on your own terms in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player: You are not only a team-player, but also a leader. You tackle multi-faceted projects with ease; keeping track of each piece, meeting deadlines and producing a polished final product.
- Driven: Your self-motivation keeps you two steps ahead of the game, making you a key player of any team. An unstructured environment doesn’t faze you; whether working independently or in a group, you thrive
- Even-keeled: Productive, efficient and reliable. In the roughest, most chaotic times, you guide your team safely to shore, effectively communicating issues and steps that need to be taken to successfully complete a project. You’re a valued team-player and an indispensable leader.
- Thoughtful: You take a step back and see the full picture, taking in the smallest details without sacrificing your understanding of the whole; seeing the forest and the trees. You’re multi-tasking skills help you to perform in fast-paced, changing environment with a focus on results.