Time Inc. UK is a leading content company that engages millions of consumers every month through our portfolio of premium brands across platforms. By combining our distinctive content with our proprietary data and people-based targeting, we offer highly differentiated end-to-end solutions to marketers across the multimedia landscape. We have 50+ influential brands including TIME, FORTUNE, INSTYLE, NME and COUNTRY LIFE.
About the brand
Horse & Hound is Britain's leading multi-platform equestrian brand, with 130 years at the heart of international horse sport.
About the job
This is a 6 month fixed term contract to cover maternity leave. In this role the successful candidate will be responsible for commissioning all features, including all regular feature franchises, ad support and theme features, writing whenever possible. You will work with the Content Director and Digital Editorial Manager to suggest feature content for all platforms and take responsibility for ideas, creation and commissioning of ad support features.
The Horse & Hound team practises flexible working, with working hours split between our Farnborough office and home working as appropriate for the role and experience of the individual.
- Liaise with advertising regularly about commercial opportunities
- Work with design team to come up with design concepts that make features stand out and work hard, in keeping with the magazine refresh
- Work with picture dept to commission appropriate feature images that keep pages varied and fresh, and distinct from reports
- Take responsibility for managing the features budget, liaising with the content director/print editorial manager as appropriate, negotiating fees to get the best value for quality content
- Hold features brainstorms with the team, collating ideas, working up briefs and putting these to the content director/print editorial manager
- Create new franchises and refresh where required
- Write features suitable for the website, using keyword research and optimisation
- Maximise outreach further by building links where appropriate
- Use analytics/keyword research to suggest new web features
- Update evergreen web content as agreed with Digital Editorial Manager
- Come up with new ideas for features that will attract readers to the website
- Drive editorial traffic to classifieds through galleries and other content
An experienced writer with a deep knowledge and understanding of the equestrian world, you will have:
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Working knowledge of CMS, SEO, analytics, Indesign, Office
- Excellent organisational skills
- Good communication skills
- Good time management skills, ability to prioritise.
- Ability to work with deadlines and be willing to be flexible
- Good understanding of SEO, outreach, analytics and keyword analysis
- Proven experience running (or being a senior editor in) the features department on a newspaper or consumer magazine
- Excellent ideas for eye-catching stories across all our platforms from print & digital, to social and video
- Good contacts including writers and columnists
- The ability to come up with visual executions that make stories leap off the page