About Time Inc. UK
Time Inc. UK is a leading consumer magazine and digital publisher, home to over 50 iconic brands including Wallpaper*, NME, Marie Claire, Rugby World, Livingetc, Decanter, Cycling Weekly, Trusted Reviews and Horse & Hound. Time Inc. UK reaches almost half of all UK adults in print and over 28 million global users every month. Having recently spun-out of its former NYSE listed parent company (Time Inc.) and now backed by private equity investment, Time Inc. UK is at an exciting stage in its transformational journey.
Alongside a team of 3 other lawyers, the Legal Counsel will assist the Business and Legal Affairs team in the delivery of high quality, commercially focused legal services. This is a general commercial role with a strong focus on data/adtech and the opportunity to lead on complex, high value and strategic projects in the business.
You will be responsible for:
- Drafting and negotiating a very broad variety of commercial contracts across all areas of the business, from licensing deals and commercial partnerships to sourcing, procurement and technology contracts and advertising and marketing deals.
- Working closely with the digital, IT and Information Security teams to advise on the implementation of new technologies, particularly within the online advertising industry.
- Working closely with the business to lead on the implementation of the GDPR project.
- Assisting with providing training to staff on laws and regulations affecting their area, including the CAP Code and policies of the ASA.
- Assisting with brand protection and enforcement.
Skills and experience:
- Detailed working knowledge of the General Data Protection Regulation and ePrivacy laws and their practical implications.
- Experience of Advertising Technology and associated agreements is highly desirable.
- Previous experience of working in the areas of IT, ecommerce, technology, publishing, consumer protection, advertising, data protection and/or social media would be an advantage. Media industry knowledge preferred.
- Advising clients on cutting-edge legal issues in online, mobile, print and social media contexts.
- An ability to draft and negotiate commercial transactions working as the lead contact.
As a successful candidate you'll have/be:
- 3-4 years’ PQE at a reputable law firm or in-house, preferably with an emphasis on IT and data.
- Commercial orientation, experience with influencing business decision-making and a practical, confident approach to problem solving and managing legal risk.
- Ability to learn quickly and turn around work in an efficient and pragmatic manner.
- Effective negotiating skills and strong attention to detail.
- Highly motivated and organised with a good team ethic.
- Positive, confident, driven and the ability to work autonomously and at speed where required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work closely and advise various internal clients at differing levels of seniority with an ability to build relationships and trust quickly and integrate with the business.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A robust and outgoing personality - you must be willing and able to challenge senior management and directors and win them over to your point of view whilst maintaining the highest professional standards.